canon hv30 for $349

Hello everyone,
I've been doing alot of research on this forum the last week decided to join since it was so helpful. Let me first start off by saying that I have very little experience with film making but it's always been something I've wanted to pursue. So with that said, I had been researching some decent cameras to start off with etc.,etc. Long story short, I couldn't afford to spend a grand starting off just on a camera when I know there's much more you need than that so I was looking at cheapy cam corders used on craigslist for something decent when I stumbled upon a sponsored link on google for a website called photodynasty (hope i could post other websites on here? sorry if not) that is currently selling canon hv30 's for $349 new with a 1 year warranty. I nearly went into tears when I saw this deal haha, and of course took it up. So I just wanted to post this to let everyone who's starting off know that there's a real deal out there! I do have one question though.. in addition to the camera I purchased a buy one get one free 2 hour lithium battery for the camera and it was $139.99 . Is that a normal price for these batteries or were they boosting it up hoping to make a little more since the camera was so cheap? Well either way I'm quite satisfied with my deal.. I'm sure you'll hear from me in the forum with other questions about starting off.
Thanks-

It's one of those bait-and-switch type companies (see google) so you probably got ripped off somehwere, but I hope you got a good deal.

Go to this site: www.bhphotovideo.com
They are the most reputable company and almost all videomakers use them. Look at the prices there and if the prices you see somewhere else are significantly lower, then something is fishy. You can't go wrong with B&H. They don't play games, and they offer the lowest prices.

Thanks Indy Talk, I already tried calling them to cancel but their phone lines are closed. I'm calling them the second they open tomorrow and canceling my order. I'll be sure to check out that site for my future needs-

Good luck.. More often than not people end up cancelling their credit cards with companies like that.

Just remember, no matter how good the deal seems.. anyone who is offering to sell you a ~$1000 camera for 1/3rd the price isn't doing you a favor. ever.

And whenever in doubt, do your homework first....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Photo_Dynasty

The sad thing is, most of these places are run by the same people... As an example, enterprisephoto and dynastyphoto are the same "company"

If you look at the domain registration for both, the contact info is the same.. c/o (company name) P.O. Box 821650, Vancouver, WA 98682, (360) 449-5933.. only difference is the email address, but they are both anonymous email accounts from privacypost.com...

Wonder how hard it would be to track down who owns that PO Box. I bet there are a great deal of very unhappy "customers" who would like to meet that guy face to face

Last edited:
Well surprisingly I just got a call from them before their "hours of operation" to confirm my order. When I told him I was actually going to have to cancel it he asked why I simply told him I wouldn't be needing it at the time and he said "alright the order is canceled" and hung up. I called back immediately to confirm it with an email but he said they don't send emails and the card won't be charged. Hopefully that will be the end with it but after reading so many stories about how this company has really screwed people over I'm going to go to my bank soon and tell them the whole situation and have them deny anything that they might try to take from my account.
Looks like this thread has turned more into an advisory post now rather than a good deal post haha. Thats life,
looks like I'll be taking my original deal that I was offered for $600 the hv30 (factory sealed) from someone that lives near me.. Still a good deal eh?

Yes, $600 from someone local is a good deal.. I paid about $860 for my HV20 with shipping last year and at the time it was a phenomenal deal. ;)

I would suggest talking to the issuing bank of your credit/check card and setting up some kind of watch with them so that if there is any unauthorized attempt to charge the card you won't have to worry about it. Or, consider changing the card out for a new one, though that may be a drastic measure you needn't take. Either way, better safe than sorry. Now go get that $600 hv30 and make a few shorts! :D

I am glad you found this forum and we are able to help you. Sorry I thought your first post was spam ;)

Alright, got the hv30 today for $625 , so now to play around and figure this baby out! No problem about the first post though, just glad that you guys caught that my "deal" was a scam.. that could have been very frustrating hah

I would like to congratulate you on deciding to buy a HV30 you've made the right choice. I own one and so does 3 of my friends. its such a great camera, I brought mine to school to show my teacher and now his getting 3 for the Media department. its great
PS dont forget about the HV20/HV30 forum, HV20.com its very helpful.

Back