• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Nelp help with a certain kind of wipe transition

Hey there everybody, Im looking for a "how to" on a wipe transition that i want to use for a short. The best example of this wipe is in the opening montage of the Guy Ritchie movie Snatch. The wipe happens after Tommy is introduced and the punching bag is used to wipe to the next scene of Bullet tooth tony (Vinny Jones). If anybody can point me towards a post tutorial it would greatly help me.

I don't know of any tutorials, or of the particular wipe you're speaking of, but I'm sure you could pull it off by experimenting with your NLE, Photoshop and a chroma-key kind of deal.... if it's a swinging punching bag, then you could cut out the bag in each frame of motion, give each frame a green background and then put it back into the timeline on top and fine tune your in-program wipes to match up.
In fact, if you have Effectslab or something, it'd be even easier to add a "mask" layer on one side of each frame of the punching bag as it swings.... hmmm... i figure, instead of explaining it, I shall draw a crude MS Paint image...

2828514437_ac5dff0351_o.jpg

Hmmm, well, hopefully someone else can make better sense than I.

Garbage mattes are the solution here..

It most likely can be done right in the NLE, but better results would be achieved with After Effects or another comparable compositing program...

The basic technique is covered in this video copilot tutorial for After Effects.. Only difference would be that the original video wouldn't freeze, and the mask would have to move along with the footage.

Back