Pre-Production - How do you do it?

I usually learn stuff best if people just tell me how they do it...

So how do you do Pre-Production...? From day one to last day (i dont mean describe each day...)
But what do you do at first... and then later, and nearer the end...? Do you do one thing each day? or many things a day? and what?...

:huh:

:yes:

Wow, what a question, lol. Well it all depends. Are you asking about the Producer? The Director? I'm a writer/director/producer so it takes a lot of work. Financing, casting, hiring crew, securing locations and permits, getting insurance, renting equipment, etc., etc.

for a producer and director... if your just a producer just say about producing in pre. if your a director say about directing in pre. Does a producer hire every single person? down to like best boy or video playback...? On a big budget film does he sit down and interview hundreds of people???
And... what does a director do? And dont say: He looks at sets, works with the art designer...

The Producer "produces" the film and has the top business role. The Director "directs" the film and has the top creative role. Anything more than that would be writing a book, with all that you asked ;)

Well it's just you asked a very detailed question. Some other members will chime in I am sure and contribute.

for a producer and director... if your just a producer just say about producing in pre. if your a director say about directing in pre. Does a producer hire every single person? down to like best boy or video playback...? On a big budget film does he sit down and interview hundreds of people???
The producer will hire the department heads for each department. Each department
head will hire an assistant to hire the crew. For example: the producer will hire the
director of photography, the DP will then hire the assistant camera and often the
gaffer who will then interview and hire the rest of the camera and electric department.

And... what does a director do? And dont say: He looks at sets, works with the art designer...
Well....

That's what the director does. They work with the writer, producer, actors (and even the
art director) to get what they want for the movie. I have no idea what to tell you if
I can't tell you that. Because that's what the director does.

Production - Producer, Line Producer, Production Manager and First Assistant Director
Camera - Director of Photography
Art Department - Production Designer and Art Director
Costumes
Make-up/Hair
Grip - Key Grip
Lighting - Gaffer
Audio - Production Sound Mixer
Special Effects
Locations
Second Unit
Catering
Construction