• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do Producers package their film?

Hello,
I've looked through most of the forums, I'm sure this questions has been answered. I am an experienced SFX artist but have only done home videos, weddings, etc. I would like to get into the Indie genre, but I don't know much about this category of film. I know how to convert most consumer formats to DVD, but my questions is how or what format does an Indie flim maker put his film onto when sending off to a post production facility? In other words, what equipment do I need in order to recieve the various formats of film? Do projects get sent in on DVD in .avi format? I have no clue. I'm trying to build a list of equipment that I need in order to accomodate all formats, I doubt there is a rack system that can handle the different formats. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hard to know where to start with this...

The real answer is it depends on what the acquisition format was ...and the post production workflow.

So, a few years back the standard workflow was (acquisition format)... copy tapes to digibeta... offline edit... reformat to original acquisition format to online... then master to both HD and Digibeta.

These days it's easier... because most projects are tapeless (so it's all data transfer)... but you could be working in anything from SD Apple 10bit lossless all the way up to Pro-Res 4.4.4... you might even find yourself mastering to a TIFF sequence!

So, I guess the real answer to your question is... that depends on what kind of work you're interested in.

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty much willing to work with whatever I can get my hands on. I've looked into a few video converters that handle DVCPrO and such from Canopus editing systems, but I'm still confused, do I need the same type of camera inorder to play it through and onto my computer, or is there a simple deck like JVC makes for mini-DV? I guess I thought this was going to be an easy answer like, yeah sure, they simply put their film onto a DVD and give it to you. You mention the SD Apple, so is there a rack system for this type of media? And where would a good place to look for more info on what equipment I need? I'm willing to work on a few projects for next to nothing in costs, just to get some experience working with film, but I'll save that for another post somewhere else once I figure out what I need. Thanks again.

Hard to know where to start with this...

The real answer is it depends on what the acquisition format was ...and the post production workflow.

So, a few years back the standard workflow was (acquisition format)... copy tapes to digibeta... offline edit... reformat to original acquisition format to online... then master to both HD and Digibeta.

These days it's easier... because most projects are tapeless (so it's all data transfer)... but you could be working in anything from SD Apple 10bit lossless all the way up to Pro-Res 4.4.4... you might even find yourself mastering to a TIFF sequence!

So, I guess the real answer to your question is... that depends on what kind of work you're interested in.

OK I see what your real question is...

You want to know what computer interface and decks you'll need to run a post production facility.

Have a look at the "Black Magic Intensity card"... most post production suites use this or something similar and capture HDMI

In terms of decks... well, the new tapeless systems don't need them as they are just posh hard drives

and it's better to find a good deck hire facility and hire in per project (add it as a cost in your bill)... because otherwise you'd need to invest in about six different decks to handle all the different formats

I'd also suggest you check out Creative Cow and do a massive amount of reading over there... most of the guys who are key players there run post production facilites

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to ask, sorry. Funny you mention about Creative Cow, I've bought several tutorials form them as well as used their free tuts, never thought about asking this questions there though......I was more interested in doing specials effects. Your post really helped me out. I was hoping that more people were using hard drives like you said, but I'm sure I'll want to invest in at least one tape system, just in case. Thanks a ton!

OK, but before you do invest just do a little research into just how many different tape and disc formats are currently on the market... I think you'll be shocked:

DV; miniDV; DVCam; HDV(one deck and about the cheapest of the lot)

DVCpro; ... oh and I think this one only does DVCPro50 and isn't switchable to DVCPro25.... still it's only $14,000 to deal with only one format

DVCproHD, This one should run you to about $23,000

Digibeta,

Sony Optical Disc Reader for the HDCAMX series of cameras,

HDCAM, (tape version)

BetaSP,

BetaSX

and that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head

The problem with deck purchase is that you really have to know who your customers are going to be and that they are all going to want to import and master in the same systems... which just isn't going to happen

Ok...yeah.....well, equipment purchases like this isn't going to happen anytime soon. I had no idea decks were that much. but at least you gave me some insight as to what formats to look at, for now anyway, I'm sure by the time I get ready to LEASE, not purchase these, there will be new formats, I'm still a few years away before I'm ready for "Prime Time". thanks a lot for this info, now at least I have something to research.

Another question for you, and I hope you still check this thread, I just had a friend of mine want me to convert his video to DVD and add my special effects stuff to it. He has this on a cam corder Hard drive like you mentioned in one of the threads above. So, without having to ship his Hard drive to me, is it feasible to put his raw footage from his Sony camcorder onto a CD or DVD as is, not in MPEG2 or anything, but in the raw native format, and would I be able to import it into Premiere or Sony Vegas? Or does he need to go ahead and make an MPEG2 or ACH3 DVD then send it to me? Thank you.

Back