Working with AVCHD (.mts) files

Hello,

I am very new here.

Alright, I shot a scene in with my Sony HD Handycam today and have some problems working with the video format on my computer. The file is an AVCHD non of my video editing applications support it. i read that .m2t is the file will want to convert it to, but the only converter that I found is $50 dollars, don't really want to pay for a converter.

Is there another format you can convert AVCHD files to without loosing quality? Or is there a way to work with .mts files?

I was rather annoyed to find out Premiere Pro didn't work with avchd at all, so I ended up scouring the web for alternatives. I tried Pinnacle, which was good in some ways and not in others then Vegas Pro 8 which worked a treat. The only issue I had with it was that, well, it wasn't Premiere which is what I'm comfortable with.

VERY happy to say Premiere Pro CS4 does in fact support AVCHD editing and will in fact edit straight off the camera, which is an absolute God send. The GPU acceleration is well worth it as well. So finally, after awhile of mucking with Vegas, I can go back to Premiere again. :)

YMMV

even without cs4 you could do it in premiere, but you'd need an intermediate codec, like cineform.. but since most people probably are using that format as a convenience/time saver/etc... having another step of converting file formats prior to the edit probably defeats the purpose.

I like tape. I have a physical backup, and I can import as pretty much whatever format I want. :)

I haven't worked with a lot of tape, as most of my previous editing was of 3d animation renders and the like... but what tape I did work with, I didn't care for. Though having a physical thing as a backup is a nice thought. :)

Back