What is Your Camera Preference?

Friends please dont MISUNDERSTAND my question.I just want to know about your Camera Preference.
So tell me if you have 1000 US Dollars which Camera will be your prefernce (for buying, no rent) for filmmaking?..Which CAm will be your first choice?

Indies always ask the wrong camera question... and by that I mean "what is the best camera for X budget?"

When a better question is:

What camera do you recommend for X project?

So, for instance... if someone plans to make a documentary about learning to skin dive in Croatia, then some cameras are better suited for underwater docos... and if someone is planning to make a short film for festivals and needs a camera that is cheap, but works well in natural light... then that's a different question and the answer will be different.

Now, if the real issue is "what camera do people recommend for making a commercial feature film?" yet again the answer will depend on whether the film is destined for cinema release or not, who the potential distributors are and what formats they are willing to see films on ... and what kind of look you want for your movie.

I know this isn't an answer to your original question... but it's way more useful than a list of of sub-$1000 camcorder that may or may not be suited to your project.

Bottom line is always shoot on the best possible camera you can get access too... where possible one that can take a broadcast lens... but the bottom line is camera is less important than what you put in front of it and your DOP's understanding of how to achieve a "Look" with what you've got.

Hey clive thanks for the reply!...well i know you are right that

DOP's understanding of how to achieve a "Look" with what you've got.

is the most important thing....secondly you also mentioned that lense will be important too.as you said about broadcast l

and even thats true that every one wants the best.....but at the same time every one has its own choice.....some one will like to use one camera for its one function..the other guy might not like it and might prefer some one else......

like today i went to the market of HD cams.and i was really interested in 2 cams from the lot(hey i havent purchased yet.just wanted to see the cam results etc)

well one thing as you asked that this is an issue that will the film be released on thatres too?

well the answer is yes but first preference will be only DVD release.........

Last edited:
I know you've seen my list of cameras in the $1,000 range.

I have used each one of them and gave a quick impression of
what I liked and disliked. Since all cameras in that range have
a fixed lens the lens issue is moot - you can only use on.

Which 2 cameras are you interested in?

well after doing some research my only preference right now is

HDR-SR10E as it costs around 57 k in Pakistan right now..........

actually many of the shopkeepers even dont have idea. one guy told me that HD cam has no 3ccd.its adifferent technology and always buy 3CCD......because is is better then HD.....people made me so confused .....that i thought all my infor from the net is 0........
but i have decided for this CAM

but i have a question on a webpage on one side its written HD and on other side it says Handy Cam(here in Pakistan Handy Cam is considered a low quality cam just for home videos.) so whats the truth? can Handy Cam be a good one for starter???is this thinking of Handy cam is wrong in our country??

check the link

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/ssc-123501-sony-hdr-sr10e.html

regards

Last edited:
$57,000.00? :eek:

Oh, Rupees. You about gave me heart failure.

To prevent others from having a similar reaction:

$57,000.00 in Rupees = $1340.48 U.S. Dollars or $859.32 in Euros.

AD: Have you tried the CNET video camera finder? They have some pretty good reviews on prosumer cameras as well as consumer cameras.

Give it a shot. http://reviews.cnet.com/4247-6500_7-4.html

But also remember, you can ask a thousand people what camera to buy and the bottom line is there is no one perfect camera. Most cameras are good enough. It's the people behind the camera that make the movie.

I remember a long time ago I was dragged to a political event in San Francisco. At the event was some "famous" photographer, who I couldn't name if my life depended on it. He was being lead around by some PR people, and he was shooting photos like someone who didn't have to worry about the cost of film. I got a chance to talk to him briefly, and made note of the fact that he had something like a Rollie or another cheap point and shoot camera. I said is this what you always use? He looked down at his camera, and then looked at me and said, not always. I have the Nikons and the Canons and the Hassleblads. But for something like this all I need is this.

What I took away from that is that it really isn't always what the camera sees, it's what you see through the camera. Add good editing, good writing, and good acting, and you've got a hit. Take away those goods and add 35mm film and a great camera, and more than likely, you've got a flop.

Good luck,

Chris

Last edited:
I know it’s confusing so don’t get discouraged by what people call
cameras. “Handy Cam” or “video camera” can mean the same thing.
It might be better to stay with standard definition (SD) and high
definition (HD) “Handycam” is what Sony calls many of their
cameras. The HDR-SR10E is HD even though it’s called a “Handycam”

As you know Adeel, using a SD camera can be a good one for a
beginner. Even if you will someday go to a film print. I gave you
a long list of movies released in the cinemas that were shot SD.
And even more movies shot SD have gone to DVD.

What is most important is a microphone input and manual controls.
Unfortunately the HDR-SR10E doesn’t have a mic input.

I will post my list for you again. Any of the following cameras
will be fine for a beginner.

There are three things that are VERY important when getting a camera:

Three CCD’s or CMOS
Manual controls for the iris, shutter, focus and white balance.
A microphone input.

The JVC GZ-MG505 is in the $800 range. It has a mic input and
records to a 30GB HHD. The downside is the MPEG-2 compression.
This high compression is lower quality than MiniDV and most
editing software don’t work well this this compressed video.

I like the JVC GZ-HD7. I’ve seen these on line for as little as
$1,200. A really nice Fujinon lens makes a huge difference and
full manual controls is important. Three 1/5’ 16:9 progressive
scan CCD’s are pretty impressive for a camera in this price
range. It records directly to a built in 60GB hard drive. It has
manual controls, a mic input and an excellent focus ring which is
surprisingly rare on small cameras.

Both the JVC HD5 and HD6 have a mic input and both record to HDD -
the HD6 can record 1080/60p through HDMI - pretty impressive.

The Panasonic HDC-SD100 uses a 3-CMOS array and records 1920 x
1080 video in the AVCHD format to SD and SDHC memory cards. I
like the ring on the lens that controls zoom, focus, white
balance, shutter speed, and iris and it actually has a viewfinder
in addition to the LCD screen. Very important it has both a mic
and headphone jack. I found it difficult to handle with all the
cables attached (mic, headphones and monitor) but it’s a camera
with all the basics.

Close is the Canon HV20. It records in HDV (1080i) and 24p (60i),
has a mic input and manual controls of white balance and focus
but it uses one 1/2.7” CMOS sensor rather than 3 CCD’s. And it’s
so small the handling is difficult.

The HV30 adds a 30f (Canon’s “frame mode”) in addition to 24p.

The Sony HDR-SR12 has a mic input and a good sized 120GB HDD. It
uses a 1/3” CMOS chip and like the Canon is really small. Because
of the input placement, the mic cable kept getting in my way. The
HR9 (which records to tape) is also a nice, very small, camera
with the essentials. Again the mic input is just below the lens
which is rather poor placement, in my opinion.

Check out any of these cameras to see if they fall in your price range.

Rik,

Not to hijack this thread, but have you ever used a HD Hard drive camera to hook up to a JVC 110? I bought a 110 if you remember, and haven't worked with it yet (a project fell through), but I'm not sure if I want to shoot on Mini dv or a add on hard drive. As I'm sure you know the hard drives are 1,000 bucks a shot, and I read somewhere that an IPOD can be used for a fraction of the price...I then thought that maybe you could use a back up hard drive camera, but I wonder if it will work.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Back