Targted Market and distributors

I have a question.you people have expericne in the professional field that is why i am asking you this question.
the question is if a i make a movie based on my own culture (pakistani film industry and pakistani people normally have different movie taste then compared to international world ) so if i make a movie which is more linked to my own culture will a foreign distributor will be interested to buy it and show it so pakistanic living in his country?

i few days back read that there are around 200,000 pakistanis in switzerland (or may be it was germany) so will any distributor like to take a risk and buy a movie for this niche market only??

because he will have to work more hard on marketing and promotion to hit that specific market(Pakistanis)...

do you think distributors will take this sort of risk???

Yes, but probably only if the movie does well in Pakistan first, and it would probably be a limited release (like specialty DVD only) in foreign countries.

Your best bet for a universal release would be to make a movie that has UNIVERSAL themes/style in it, and use the Pakistani perspective to add unique identity to those themes as opposed to making a film just for the Pakistani market + expats niches. Even so, it's still going to be niched down into the "foreign films" sub-genres unless the story is universal enough to really break out into wider audiences and get picked up by bigger fish, so most likely unless your film ends up being in the top 10% of films coming out of Pakistan, I'd say chances are slim on getting a wall at Blockbuster.

Either way, none of us actually know what your film is about, what it will be shot on, who's in it, etc, etc, etc, so asking "do you think distributors will take a risk on this" here is pretty much like asking "Do you think if I invest money in the stock market I will become rich?".

Every individual movie is a unique entity and must be treated as such. Without knowing the specifics of your project, I doubt anyone could answer better than "Maybe", unless they happen to be a distributor that specializes in Pakistani films.... hmmm... It might be worth your while to do some research on the web and find out if there are any Pakistani-specific distributors lurking around that sell multiple territories. Then, figure out what films they actually distributed.... if any of them are similar to the one you're planning, give them a call and see if they're interested.

Wow. My brain hurts now. It's like I'm using it or something.... how unnatural...

hmm well as you said
none of us actually know what your film is about, what it will be shot on, who's in it, etc, etc, etc

if i got with Pakistani market obviously i will have to take reknowned names . the format will be HD and the genre will be love story ... actually i thought that distributors might not be interested in buying a movie for which they will have to work more harder.....because promoting a movie for one whole country is easy rather then promoting it to specific portion of the whole population.It is like suppose i have a horror genre movie. For this distributors can do the promotion in the whole country.

i think the best option here would be to rent out cinema houses (in foreign countries) and contact the abroad living pakistanis directly and invite them to see the movie.....sending them invitation cards with a poster or some other printed item( like few pic of the movie with a synopsis on the back) will be more help full....the only thing is that we will need more finance to rent out the cinema houses...

by the way i wanted to know if we rent out a cinema(with film projection and Digital projection) how much % normally cinema owners take . how the deal is made they take the normal ticket price multiplied by the totall seats or do they take some advance payments plus a share in total sales? do they give real good discounts because this is a type of self distribution so we have to incur promotion expenses etc ?

and while showing the movie can we arrange our own food stalls? (to have some extra income? are we allowed to do so?)

Last edited:
OK, hmmm... looks like you're looking at a more grass-roots, self-propelled marketing style...

i will have to take reknowned names . the format will be HD and the genre will be love story

So an HD love story with established Pakistani actors.... hmmm... well, I'm not at all familiar with that market (let alone Bollywood), but just from that I'm starting to get a clearer picture of what we're working with here.

HD can be pretty pricey, and established actors will need contracts and pay and whatnot, so I'm going to assume that this is low budget (as opposed to micro/no-budget). That means you're probably going to want to secure a distributor in order to make your money back. But this is where it gets confusing...

rent out cinema houses (in foreign countries) and contact the abroad living pakistanis directly and invite them to see the movie.....sending them invitation cards with a poster or some other printed item( like few pic of the movie with a synopsis on the back) will be more help full....the only thing is that we will need more finance to rent out the cinema houses...

See, isn't that the job of the distributor? To "distribute" your movie? I mean- that's what they get paid for, right?
Maybe in order to GET a distributor, you can rent out a theater or two for a "screening" that you can invite press/industry/select people to see the film... which will be hard (to get them to actually come), so I'd recommend looking at film festivals instead, because at least acquisitions people GO to film festivals.... but once someone buys the movie to distribute, I don't think you'll have to worry (too much) about the logistics of renting cinemas, because.... well, that's kinda their job.
In other words, when some guy cuts you a cheque to buy your movie, you might want to ask him how he's planning to release the film... you'll get a better answer, because the guy will actually be able to SEE your film and be able to give you specific feedback on the best possible options for distribution. Or, if you get a distributor to agree upfront (before the film is made), then you'll have a better idea how the end-process will work before you even drop some pennies on the production.

i wanted to know if we rent out a cinema(with film projection and Digital projection) how much % normally cinema owners take

I rented out the cinema down the street from where I live for our "world premier" of our first feature film. It cost about $700 (Canadian) for the final block of the night (a one screen, independent venue) and we got 100% of the ticket sales. The manager had mentioned at the time that if we preferred, he could lower the upfront cost and take a percentage of the ticket sales, but since we knew we would have a large audience (we had an advance guest list), we paid up front and spent most of the profit renting out the bar next door for our cast/crew party.
We also had a stand set-up at the venue selling programmes, soundtracks and movie posters, because the venue caters to indie filmmakers who do crazy things like that.

Anyway, point is, the rate is probably negotiable. Look in your area (or targeted local markets) for cinemas and contact their management with that line of inquiry.
"Hi, my name is __(your name)____, I'm making a pakistani love story on HD which I expect to complete in __(date)____ and was hoping to inquire as to whether I could rent a block of time for a screening of the film, and if so, how much are your standard rates?" (this sounds like a job for the producer!)

That's networking, baby, and you gotta do it, because no one here will magically be able to pull a number out of the hat for you. Prices differ. Cinemas differ. Distributors differ. Every answer is unique to the circumstances. I happened to get lucky, living down the street from a very hip indie-cinema that is a local landmark... you may have to do a bit of digging to find the right venue.

But ultimately, I dunno what the situation is in Pakistan... but as for general advice, I'd say a theatrical release for a first time feature film is unlikely. You'll probably get a DVD release if you're lucky, and even then, you probably won't see very much money in the form of profit. Unless I'm completely wrong and Pakistan is a cinema gold mine, which it could very well be.

Either way, don't go renting a cinema in Germany and sending out postcards to all the ex-pat-Pakistanis in the mail... you'll spend more on the postage and the rental fees than you'll ever make back in the ticket sales. Then you'll end up on the streets of Amsterdam, begging people to pay you for sex. You don't want to end up like that, now, do you? Or do you?

Back