XL2-HD or the Panasonic HVX

I have the choice of renting either of the two cameras above for my short film later this summer. I can rent the xl2-hd for 80 dollars a day from the local film group. I can rent the hvx (p2 cards included) for 195 dollars a day from another place. What does everyone recommend. Do you think its worth it to go for the hvx? I have always wanted to use the hvx, but its a tad pricy.

Thanks.

xl2 is a standard def camera. The XLH1 is the High Def offering in that line. Both are good cameras, the Canon will look more like a big professional camera on set. This is a consideration with pros and cons. The pros are that you will be taken more seriously by people on set (if you haven't worked with them before) and by passersby. This is also the con, It's harder to shoot guerrilla style if you have a big piece of hardware like the XL series of camera.

The HVX with P2 cards also means you have to have a workflow that will support the P2 cards, so You'll need to add extra days into your rental to use the camera as a deck, whereas with both cameras, if you record to tape, you'll be able to use any HDV camera to import the footage. The drawback is that there's heavier compression on HDV to tape than HD to P2, thereby slightly lower quality... this really only matters if you're projecting it on a large screen, transferring to film or doing lots of heavy post/fx work to the footage.

The workflow from the HVX200 using P2 cards is pretty sweet. I saw a demo recently that really brought it home. Besides the obvious drag and drop copy from the P2 card to the hard drive, there is the ability to mark takes as good/bad while shooting, editable meta data on each clip that can really help for organization, and random access to clips in camera, if you need to review something for consistency, etc.

I also think the quality difference is pretty significant, and the frame rate is selectable from 2 to 60 frames per second.

Back