Severed head problems

I'm in a bit over my head on this one. I'm about to lose my head thinking about it...

Get it? Funny right?

Anyway.

I'm shooting a scene where a young coed loses her head - literally. Now, throughout the rest of the film everything gory in nature has been approached suggestively or with "camera trickery", I want to keep all the nasty stuff offscreen so as to leave it to the audiences imaginations. Except for this scene.

I've been doing some prep work, trying to find a good substitute to actually slicing and dicing on my dear actress's throatal region, but nothing has really struck me as perfect. The closest I've found is a dressed up pig's hindquarter. Now it does resemble human skin in a way, but it's got a few drawbacks. First it's rather bumpy, and even covered in fake blood the bumps look like sever razor burn. And secondly, my actress doesn't like that her fill-in is a dead Wilbur's arse.

Anyone have any low-budget suggestions on what else I could use (I've already spent the majority of this project's budget on pzza, beer, and snoballs for the crew). I would like to have actual knife insertion, but what I would really hope to acheive is depth to the wound which will help play out the joke that follows - yes, post-severed-head jokes are funny in Ohio. ;)

thanks!
Nic

Chalk one up to pure ignorance. I was half epecting to drop $200 plus for product, when all it would cost me is around $50 and some time spent remembering my third grade paper mache skills. I spent almost that much on pig parts and their resulting BBQ dinner - as a side note fake blood makes a rather good marinade.

Looks like I'll be purchasing the 6lb pack, some thick blood gel, and a pair of acrylic eyes... because you never know when you'll need a spare set of acrylic eyes.

Thanks Will! (I'm eager to watch Death Bed as soon as I get home from work. Ubrella Corp blocks all the cool sites on the intraweb)

I would suggest calling and talking to Mitch.. he should be able to help you figure out exactly what you need. Keep in mind, you'll most likely want the platinum cure silicone gel 10, and then you'd also need some deadener, thickener, and tint.. it's translucent. :)

The 6lb pack you referred to isn't the right product (as far as I can tell)

Mitch is a good guy, and should be able to answer any questions you have.. unfortunately it looks like most of the youtube videos they used to have aren't available anymore, he had one where he demoed a VERY quick application of a gaping neck wound, that was really cool.

Here's one of the props I made for the last film I was working on with gel10...
2046341334_2ddb24c948.jpg

1979551312_4eb7c03a07.jpg

I also sculpted and made the prosthetic, and acrylic fangs here:
2040116582_03da598ae5.jpg

And, for what it's worth... I'd never done any of that stuff before. ;)

I detailed a bunch of the process on the blog that I've since let go dormant: http://will-fx.blogspot.com/

Back