acting books/articles?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any particular books or articles (or magazines that cover this) on do's and don't's when entering an acting business? Really, anything that would be considered as a starting books for like Acting 101. :) If you could provide the links to where I could buy those online, that'd be great too. Thanks for any help!

I haven't time to list books and articles... but here are the headlines:

1) Don't pay for representation or to join an agency... these are scams

2) Being an extra isn't a route into the profession

3) Acting isn't about doing anything... it's about understanding enough about people and yourself, in order to be able to make yourself vulnerable in front of the camera.

4) Be reliable... in this business the ability to get there on time is better than the ability to perform

5) Get skills... an actor who can ride a horse, water ski, rock climb, fence and skateboard is more employable than one who can't

6) Don't put yourself forwards for parts you aren't suited for (everyone hates this)

7) Do use gimics to try to get work... actors who create "cute' CV's just show how desperate they are

8) Get good headshot... make sure they look like you... don't lie about your age

I haven't time to list books and articles... but here are the headlines:

1) Don't pay for representation or to join an agency... these are scams

2) Being an extra isn't a route into the profession

3) Acting isn't about doing anything... it's about understanding enough about people and yourself, in order to be able to make yourself vulnerable in front of the camera.

4) Be reliable... in this business the ability to get there on time is better than the ability to perform

5) Get skills... an actor who can ride a horse, water ski, rock climb, fence and skateboard is more employable than one who can't

6) Don't put yourself forwards for parts you aren't suited for (everyone hates this)

7) Do use gimics to try to get work... actors who create "cute' CV's just show how desperate they are

8) Get good headshot... make sure they look like you... don't lie about your age

Thanks for the reply, Clive!

The #3 of your suggestions made me think for a while... Actually didn't hear such a definition for acting before, but when I think about it now, can't seem to find better words.

I've actually was browsing some sites and stumbled upon this article - http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/news/article_1650.shtml . It confirms a lot of what you said above. Did you (or any others who read this, obviously :) ) hear anything about that magazine? Is it worth of digging through some more?

here are a few other hints...

when cold reading...when it's not your line Don't continue to have your eyes down on your paper...you should be listening to the other person or people in the scene with you (your lines do not exist until they are finished and it's time for you to respond) <---this is also the case when memorized performance...you should be listening to people in the scene with you when you are not the one with the dialogue

if you are intending on going out to L.A. you should not plan to do so with less than $10,000 saved

when auditioning with a cold reading from the script you will be able to ask questions if need be, but if you've had a chance to read the scene first, make sure the answer to your question is not somewhere in the directions or dialogue

most importantly...if you are wanting to go into acting you should get yourself into a class...when you are not on stage or working on a film you should be keeping yourself sharp and ready

Here are a few books to start with:

* How to Stop Acting, by Harold Guskin
* Acting for the Camera, by Tony Barr
* Acting for Film, by Michael Caine (video version on Youtube)

Start with those. They don't go so deeply into technique...they tell it like it is, and focus on film acting in particular. These are must-reads for film actors.

Back