Looking to buy a super 8mm camera

I have only shot in digital, and want to learn to shoot in film. So I thought I would start at the bottom with super 8. But I would like to purchse a decent one, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to indietalk, maul!

I grew up in Santa Barbara. Made my first dozen or so films there on
super 8. I'm a big fan of super 8. I never thought of super 8 as starting
at the bottom, it's an excellent format.

The three best - in my opinion - are:
Beaulieu 4008 ZM II - I shot two features with this camera.
Nikon R10 - the first camera I ever bought.
Canon 1041 XL-S - a solid camera with a great lens and pretty good under
low light conditions.

The others:
Canon 514 XL-S and 814 XL
Elmo 612S-XL / 1012S-XL
Bauer and Elmo make solid cameras on the lower end.

Hi there-
I have only used Canon's and Nizo's so this may sound quite biast, but in my opinion if you want a reasonably small, quite cheap camera, that also creates breathtaking images, you should get the Nizo S560. Here is a link to some of my films that I shot on the S560. They come up on ebay, and are usually around $100, but I just got one for under $50...
Hope this helps,
Callum

Heh, I started at the real bottom with Regular 8mm. ;)

Eventually going to Super 8mm and then 16mm. My favorite Super 8mm cameras were the Canon 614 and the Elmo 1012S-XL. I also used an Argus Cosina which was a real workhorse of a camera. Right now I got a jewel of a camera in the Elmo Super 106. I used to have a Bolex Reflex H8 which was converted to double Super 8.

Thank you what part of SB did you grow in? And as far as shooting on super 8 did you process and edit your own film?
First on A.P.S. just off what we called "five points" then we moved to Monticito
when I was about 15.

I never processed my own film. For all my short films I cut the film using the
standard viewers and the Hervic tape splicers. For the features we transfered
to tape.

I used to have a Bolex Reflex H8 which was converted to double Super 8.
I had a Bolex H16 converted and still have it. There was one place in LA that sold
double super8 for a few years but then they stopped. One day I went in to by
some stock and the guy behind the counter said there was no such thing as double
super 8.

Was he shocked when I pulled out a receipt from that very store.

I had a Bolex H16 converted and still have it. There was one place in LA that sold
double super8 for a few years but then they stopped. One day I went in to by
some stock and the guy behind the counter said there was no such thing as double
super 8.

Was he shocked when I pulled out a receipt from that very store.

I traded the Bolex H8-DS8 some time ago when I couldn't get DS8 filmstock anymore. I still have two Bolex H8 regular 8mm cameras. You can still get regular 8mm filmstock including in the newer Ektachrome 100D. I last shot some regular 8mm color at a Japan fest in Houston last year. Used a nice little Sanyo 8mm camera. Now I'm about to start shooting some 16mm in my newly acquired Mitchell.

Back