DVX 100B

I just bought a DVX 100B and I was wondering what the best settings are. I would like to get the most professional looking quality possible, close to the film look. What should I change if anything?

I just bought a DVX 100B and I was wondering what the best settings are. I would like to get the most professional looking quality possible, close to the film look. What should I change if anything?

Well that all depends on your shooting situation, but with the DVX you generally want it set to 25p mode for progressive scan.

Aside from that it's entirely situation dependant.

I meant all the other settings. I always shoot in 24p, but there are many other options on the camera. Like shutter speed, detail, phase, gamma, matrix....etc.

What are some settings that have produced a good look for your projects?

The only other setting I would recommend locking in every time you shoot is the shutter speed. If you're shooting 24p, set your shutter at 1/48th of a second, as that will most closely mimic the look of film. A slower shutter speed would not be possible in a film camera, though a faster shutter speed would -- but 1/48 (or a 180 degree shutter) is most commonly the default setup in a film camera.

I assume detail has something to do with sharpening, you'll want to minimize the in camera sharpening, it can just as easily be added later, but cannot be removed. Otherwise, your best bet, really, is to just play with the camera as much as possible and decide what looks work best for you.

Also, don't be like all the Hollywood folk who cheat just because they're using digital.. if your shot is too dark at the proper settings (24fps, 1/48, even if the iris is wide open...) that means you need to ADD MORE LIGHT.

I can't tell you how annoying it is sitting in the theater watching a movie I just spent $10 to get into and another $10-15 for popcorn, etc.. and then all of a sudden the picture looks like something on the 5 o'clock news rather than a film. Why? Because they broke the rules and used a slower shutter speed to cheat around an otherwise not properly lit scene.

So now instead of using a 180 degree shutter, they're effectively using a 260 degree shutter, and if you tried shooting on film like that (ie: WITHOUT A SHUTTER) it would be a big streaky mess, not fluid video. Just... uh.. please. dont do it. And if you do, warn me first so I can not watch your film. ;)

A faster shutter speed will give your footage more of a strobing look -- a good example of a high shutter speed is the Omaha Beach sequence of Saving Private Ryan.. Much like shooting still photography, a faster shutter will freeze fast motion more than a slower shutter speed would, so there is less motion blur.

Personally I would only use a faster shutter speed with footage intended for slow motion, otherwise I would shoot 24p with a 1/48 shutter all the time.

I've been doing more study of AfterEffects lately, and there are several recommendations that when shooting for masking and compositing that you use a faster shutter to minimize blurring (or, in the case of interlaced formats, combing). 1/120 (with 60i) was the minimum recommendation for effects work. Freezing of the action frame to frame makes for a cleaner edge when masking.

I wondered how Zach (from On the Lot) did his freeze time film so quickly. Now I know. It's really not that difficult.

I suppose I should add this to my green screen tips page. Slow shutter speeds do make for some interesting challenges when creating mattes. Also, it's an algorithmically simpler process to add motion blur to a matted image with a separate background layer, than to a "normal" image where the background is not separated.

Regarding shutter, films use different shutter speeds for different applications. For the "Saving Private Ryan" look of super sharp edges, they used probably 1/250th or 1/500th. For any action sports or quick motion scenes, I STRONGLY recommend using anything more than 1/48th. I screwed up when I bought my new 24p camera and shot everything on 1/48th, including race cars. However, you should try shooting a test with the various shutter speeds, because they may introduce effects that you don't like, for instance this weekend my DP and I were shooting float planes taking off for 2nd unit stuff and the first thing he says is "the propeller is going to look weird". Its a matter of opinion, I didn't have much of a problem with it. Just remember, the lower the shutter, the more the blur.

Also, higher shutter speeds can be used in a pinch for more Neutral Density (all I had was 1.2x). Lower shutter speeds, like 1/24th, could be used if there was VERY minimal action on screen and you probably gain 1/2 stop.

Back