• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with Camera Rig set up

Hey there everybody,

I'm planing a short I want to shoot POV style. The idea was inspired by the Nike football commercial Guy Ritchie directed titled " Take it to the next level". I have no idea how to set up the camera to achieve the same look as the commercial. Ive been looking at helmet cameras but the resolution seems lacking on the final product. If anybody has any experience with this type of camera work pls feel free to give me some pointers.

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't seen the commercial, but I think it's safe to say they didn't mount a camera on a football player! The probably did some dolly shots, added in some motion, composited some parts of a helmet, and laid in some great audio that made it sound like you were there. Never underestimate the importance of audio, BTW.

High end commercials use real cameras, like the Arri D20 which don't mount well in small spaces! ;)

I recommend you take your camera out and try some things. You'd be amazed at what you can do with some creative cinematography and editing.

Gotta run!
Doug

If you have a small enough camera, you might be able to rig something up so that it's mounted inside a helmet, but I think Doug is right, you're best bet would probably be to shoot the footage, then add some camera movement in post, and overlay bits of a helmet. Sounds like a good job for After Effects. ;)

We just tested putting my Point and Shoot 7mp still cam that shoots video into a fencing mask and it worked pretty well. Neat shots of flinging swords. Slipped down though, so we got lots of shots of the other guys' feet.

Thanks for the pointers, Ive been thinking about the helmet mounted point and shoot rig for a bit, im not to familiar with after effects though so can anyone direct me to some tutorials about camera movements in post.

http://www.videocopilot.net has OMG good tutorials on AE. Once you've learned some of the motion tracking stuff you want, you can actually shoot a shot of a white card with a black cross on it and make whatever kinds of camera motion you want there to reapply to the actual clip you want to have the motion on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSiFmEDl_gY

Back