• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Edit Red footage!

Hey folks.. I read about this contest over on Stu Maschwitz's blog, and thought some of y'all around here might be interested.

I stuck it in this section of the forum, because I don't really think it's a classified ad, and I'm not affiliated in any way (other than the possibility of my participating)..

ANYWAY...

There's this project called OpenCut, which appears that it will be an on-going thing.. Currently they have a short, shot on the Red One, that you can edit. There is a $25 entry fee, as technically it IS a competition.

Initially the wording on their website was a bit exclusive, in that the requirements stated you had to have a Mac, and the final deliverable format was to be Apple ProRes -- bad news for us Windows folk. However, they have since issued a statement that despite the original wording, the contest is open to everyone (PC or Mac), and they've changed the final delivery format to h.264 720p or 1080p -- good news for us Windows folk. :)

I can't help but think that announcement may have had something to do with my friendly suggestion that they reconsider some of their requirements (specifically the delivery format) because less than two days after my emailing them these changes appeared. :D

Anyway, sounds like a fun deal.. check it out if you have some time.

Oh, and if the idea of getting your hands on some Red footage to play with isn't enough, maybe the grand prize will strike your fancy:
"The winner of OpenCut 1.0 will receive a brand new AJA IO HD from Silverado. They will also be recognized as the "editor-of-record" at IMDB and will have their cut submitted to multiple film festivals."

Last edited:
Back