Hello from Sick Brothers Productions

My friends and I are from Atlanta, GA, and are deffinitely newbies. Our first project is going to be an instructional video for musicians. Last week we purchased a Canon XL2 and spent a little more than $1500 on lights. What we are curious to know is, what editing and/or effects software should we purchase. For instance, in this first project, we will be filming musicians giving lessons on their respective instruments. For the guitar lessons, we would like to have the sheet music or tablature scroll across the bottom of the screen as the instructor plays the part. Also, we would like for the finished dvd to have interactive menus, so that a student can easily skip from one lesson to another, and we will be having an interview with the musicians giving the instruction, and possibly a gag reel. Is there any one program that can fulfill these needs? And if not, what software should we purchase? We have a rather large budget remaining to us, so I imagine we can spend around $600 to $800 on software if necessary. Any help would be great, as we would like this first project to come out as good and professionally done as possible. Thanks.

I bought the Adobe CreativeSuite, Production Studio Premium to cover my post production needs, and it includes a great authoring program called Encore DVD, not to mention AfterEffects. Encore and AfterEffects will do everything you want and then some. But unfortunately this package won't fit within your budget. I paid ~1700.00 for it. I know I'll get a lot of good use out of it (and education), so to me it was worth the investment. You may be able to pick up the same package I have at a discount now that there is a newer version.

But you need to answer one important question: Mac or PC?

Last edited:
Willing to help

Great, thanks for the info VPTurner. That sounds like what we need. I guess we can come up with another $900 in a couple of weeks.

Hello, I am a Visual Effects artist in Alabama (close to you) looking into getting into the Indie Genre and catering my services to Indie Film makers. I have the Adobe Suite you need to accomplish what you are looking to do. I am not looking into making a ton of money right now (that will come later), but rather add to my portfolio. Although I am looking into offering my VFX services towards movies (i have many cool effects, bullets, explosions, morphing, etc) I'm willing to assist you if you still need help . I currently have a small business and am into the youth sports genre, but I'm trying to get away from the cookie cutter themed venues- it gets boring after a while. I would like to tap into my talent and be challenged through Indie films, perhaps we can help each other out? Thank you. My email is evs001@envisionvirtualstudios.com.

Back