How would you record audio?

I have an xl2 and have started recording film projects. I have a shotgun mic but was wondering what the best method for recording audio is. I understand that recording on a different device is optimal. So what devices can be used or how could I improve the quality?

Recording to a separate device is only optimal in certain situations...

If you were shooting hand-held or with a steadicam rig, not having mic cables running off your camera would be beneficial...

In most circumstances though, since the audio will be perfectly synced with the image, recording directly to the camera is my method of choice. Your best bet, in general, is a shotgun mic on a boom pole, with a balanced XLR cable run to the camera. The XLR is very important as it will cancel out most or all electronic interference that can otherwise be picked up.

Every situation has unique requirements though, so without being there for each set up of each shoot you do, there's no way to tell you the optimal way to record audio. Sometimes it may be a shotgun mic, sometimes it might be wired or wireless lavs, or any of the other myriad of microphone types available. It depends on the situation, and the shot.

Back