• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Double system in FCP

I shot film and recorded synch sound and now have both in FCP. I know how to synch the sound with the video in the timeline, but does anyone know if I can then save the video and audio files as a separate independent clip with both the audio and the video. I know Avid can do this, so I was pretty sure FCP must have a similar function but I can't seem to find it.

It's really simple -- highlight the video clip, then shift click the audio you want to link -- then go to the modify menu and look for LINK -- click that and now the audio and video tracks are linked -- if you want to then have a specific QT clip with both, you put the timeline cursor in the middle of the clip and type "x" -- this should put in and out points at the start and end of your clip -- then export it (rename it) -- then re-import it as a new distinct clip.

As I said... all pretty simple.

New Problem

I actually already found my solution. Highlight a video clip and audio clip then go to modify>merge clips. But now I have a new problem. I am working with film telecined to harddrive at 10bit uncompressed quality. For some reason final cut automatically assigns the video twelve audio tracks. Of course since it is film there is nothing on them. Is there anyway I can get FC to not assign the twelve tracks. I know I can just delete them after dragging them into the timeline, but also know there must be a better/easier way. If anyone knows the help would be greatly appreciated.

I could tell you why link is better than merge... I could tell you how to reduce the process to one keystroke... I could also tell you how to fix your audio issue...

But, I'm not going to. Instead I'm going to suggest three things:

1) Read the manual for the software you're using... and consult it BEFORE posting a question
2) Buy Diane Weston's FCP training course
3) Learn to say thanks for the time someone has taken, before you ask a new question (even if you've found an alternative answer in the meantime)

The hassle is the reason most indie filmmakers shoot single system. We save time and effort at the sacrifice of a little quality.

Clive's advice is right on the money (cranky bits aside).

Second problem, sounds like a default setting somewhere in the preferences...check the manual or dig through the preferences to see what's available for you to change (only change things that you recognize and know what the result will be).

Clive,

You may be a guru, but maybe you forgot to learn about manners. It is possible that when I posted my reply that it was late, I had other things going on in my life, and I was in a hurry, and thus may have forgotten to say thank you before asking another question. I may have been wrong in doing so, but you acting rudely to me is not going to make what I've done any better. Remember the two wrongs doesn't make a right? As for reading the manual I've already searched the manuals up and down. I think most would agree they are almost useless unless you know the exact Final Cut name for what you are trying to do. I do not believe what I am trying to do is a simple function, if it is, then once again pardon me for being wrong. But I came on seeking helpful advice after I had already searched and inquired elsewhere. As for your pretentious retort with how you could tell me how linking is better than merging, and how to do it with a simple keystroke, I know all about those things so don't try to get all high and mighty with me. Your best advice may have been to buy the training manual, which I have heard of, but never considered buying because I am a poor college student and independent filmmaker. I come on sites like this for advice because I can't afford training manuals. So, Clive, I really don't appreciate your demeaning tone and rudeness. Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean they are stupid; I actually know quite a bit about FCP and a number of other NLEs. So, just because I'm not labeled as a 'Guru' doesn't mean you can talk down to me. No one appreciates an answer to a question that is some hotshot's attempt to belittle them. In the future if you're going to answer a question in such a manner, I'm sure most would appreciate it if you just not answer at all. Take care.

The funny thing is, after your lengthy reply you still never said thank you. And while clive's previous response may have been a bit abrupt, actually thanking someone for the advice they offer, whether you use it or not, goes a long way to maintaining a friendly community of people who like helping each other out.

Last edited:
I meant Diane Weynand not Diane Weston (who writes about directing)... for that I apologise. It's probably the best introduction to FCP you can find anywhere and takes you from novice to Apple Certified Editor in about twenty lessons.

As for the rest of my comment, well I stand by it... not out of spite, but for one very good reason. The indie film scene survives solely on good will. Anyone who understands that can get pretty much anything they want... anyone who doesn't really ought to watch Troy Duffy screw his own career into the ground.

Any by the way... I taught grad students for years and was amazed at how they could afford ipods/beer every night/take away pizza/jeans that cost $200 and better cars than I owned... but none of them could afford books.
And the thing is software training manuals pay for themselves... they are the best investment a person can make, because having $200 jeans and a hangover won't get you a job in the industry... but knowing FCP backwards and forwards will.

Thank you all very much for your input. Clive I'm sorry if I got a little heated I just get very defensive when I feel I'm being talked down to, its one of my many faults. Anyway, your advice to buy a manual is good, I know that. But I honestly do not have the money (I just spent all mine shooting a 15 minute short on Super 8 which is why this question arose in the first place), nor do I feel it would be an efficient use of my time to purchase a training course, and complete the whole thing just to answer one specific question I have. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure one day I will have the time and money to complete the course, but as it stands I have neither of those things right now. I've searched the manual several times and asked all the Final Cut editors I know, but no one has the answer to my question. I just found that I could take the clip offline, then enter the clip settings and disable the audio tracks, but then when I bring the clip back online the audio clips come back. Right now I'm under the impression that the only way around this is to bring the clip into my timeline and then re-export just the video, then re-import that clip for editing. If clive, or anyone else out there would be willing to help me out on how to disable the audio clips associated with my video it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

10 bit uncompressed shouldn't default to twelve audio tracks... at the most there would be a stereo pair.

Sounds like the additional tracks were added during the telecine... but as the audio tracks on your 10bit are blank, all you need to do is deselect the audio tracks on the timeline when you place the video on the timeline. That way only the video will go onto the timeline.

Thank you very much for your help. I was afraid I was going to have to do it that way. Guess I should a paid a little more attention when they were capturing it during telecine, but oh well, I thought they knew what they were doing. Well, a lesson learned right? Thank you all for help and good luck to you all on your artistic endeavors.

It's OK... you don't have to thank me every single time, LOL

The other thing I'd recommend is checking out Creative Cow. I can't provide you with a link out because it's another forum... but one specifically on technical issues for post production software.

Just to warn you... those guys have real short fuses with people who don't search for existing threads, or don't check the manual first.

Back