• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

16mm film stock and DV transfer

I live in LA and am looking for a reliable and affordable lab to process 16mm BW film stock as well as transfer it for digital use. I found one place, Pro 8mm Film solutions that sells, processes, and transfers 300' of film for $300. Is this good? Any advice?

I would imagine you could find better deals with various outfits than doing the entire purchase/process/transfer with one entity... I have heard good and bad things about Pro8mm, notably that they seem to not care as much about the "little guy" as other places do.

I have heard very good things about PacLab and Yale for processing and transfers, and you can buy your stock from anywhere. You might be able to save a bit on the stock by buying short ends and/or recans. One of the more well known places to buy short ends and recans is Raw-Stock.com

I've used both Pro 8mm Yale film and Video. It's just personal, but I liked
the customer service better at Yale. But both did a fine job.

Spectra Film and Video. Pretty cheap, great transfer, really nice, really smart staff. Just had a great experience with them. They're located in North Hollywood. Google Spectra Film and Video for their website which will have prices and directions. I was recommended them by other people who also had really good experiences with them.

Back