• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Blender Mattes

Hey guys, I just wanted to show a little bit of progress I've made using Blender to add matte backgrounds.
This first step was to complete a static shot with a subject moving in front. Next will be moving shots from a fixed point (on a tripod). It took some decent familiarity with Blender, so expect to put in hours first.
You can see the final product here: 3ish mb avi.
The (post) process broke down to two major steps:
1) Model the matte in Blender, applying the textures (with alpha)
2) Use the compositing nodes to mask the subject walking in front and blend the matte decently
I'll try the moving shot tonight or tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. That will require motion tracking, so either Icarus or Voodoo.
I'm figuring this out as I go, but I think the result is pretty good given my inexperience and software- I didn't need to pay a dime! Legally!
If anybody is interested in more details, let me know.

I don't know what codec you used for this video, but it didn't want to display correctly in VLC, only worked for me with windows media player....

The background plate looks a bit flat to me. I don't know if it's just discordant lighting schemes between the fg & bg, or what particularly it is but someting about the background image just doesn't quite sell the shot for me. Otherwise, it looks good. The compositing is done well.

Last edited:
And a moving matte. Motion tracked with Icarus, but it wasn't perfect- two noticeable bumps and some sliding. After a good bit of tweaking (and figuring out how to even tweak in the first place) I got this: Motion Matte
It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied- more time would = more finesse.

Back