Hello Everyone

New member here, just thought I would take the time to say hi.

I am an aspiring filmmaker and have just finished a screenplay for a full length feature film. Would like to direct the film too but would be my first project, as I only have video editing/production experience from when I was a teenager back in the late 90's and early part of this decade (feels like a long time ago!).

Anyways, I am drafting up some letters, proposals, and grant applications in an attempt to receive funding for the project. I could do the film on a micro budget if necessary, but it is intended as a social impact film and I would like for it to be as high quality as possible and for it to be distributed as widely as possible for maximum effect.

If you have any suggestions for me with regards to securing funding, equipment, filming, casting, or anything else that can be thought of I would love to hear from you! I am doing a lot of research on my own, but it would be very nice to talk to other people who are in or have been in the same position as me at one point in time.

I am mostly curious about equipment choices and which medium to shoot in. From my understanding, DV is becoming more and more popular with independent filmmakers, and others also use 16mm. If I can secure the funding, I would prefer to film in 35mm for distribution purposes. Anyways, would love to hear from you!

I would highly recommend you cut your teeth on short films before jumping straight into a feature. That's what I'm doing. You need to learn to walk before you can run, as the old cliche' goes.

Do you have a demo reel? Do you have anything to show potential investors, something that would convince them you have what it takes to get a feature film made? I think everyone on this forum would love to secure funding, but that is one of the most difficult things to achieve. So far, I'm doing everything out of pocket and I am a year into it now. I am not an expert by any means, don't get me wrong. But, like many, I am using DV to learn the process. It's the cheapest route to take. DV tape is cheap. Film could put you in the poor house if you don't know what you're doing.

I would highly recommend you cut your teeth on short films before jumping straight into a feature. That's what I'm doing. You need to learn to walk before you can run, as the old cliche' goes.

Do you have a demo reel? Do you have anything to show potential investors, something that would convince them you have what it takes to get a feature film made? I think everyone on this forum would love to secure funding, but that is one of the most difficult things to achieve. So far, I'm doing everything out of pocket and I am a year into it now. I am not an expert by any means, don't get me wrong. But, like many, I am using DV to learn the process. It's the cheapest route to take. DV tape is cheap. Film could put you in the poor house if you don't know what you're doing.

Thanks for the advice VP. I think it's a very good idea to get something done demo wise. Right now I am counting on the screenplay as being a winner and hoping the story will speak for itself. Of course, experience is a big problem for me and you are right about that, I'm just looking to get started and have nothing on virtually everyone else who wants the same things I do.

I don't know how believable it sounds (guess it depends on the personality of the person reading this) but I'm really not looking to make money, although you're right I don't want to lose a lot either. In the end, I'm just a guy trying to make a difference in the world, and I see this project as having called me and hopefully bringing out the best in me rather than the other way around.

BTW, do you have any recommendations as far as cameras go for DV?

Last edited:
Back