Final Cut Studio 2 Install Questions

well, i got my student discount pricing on final cut studio 2 today and its pretty sweet looking (and heavy!) and i went to install it on my MBP (120gb hd) and there is not enough room to install all the stuff...? its like 59GB or something...i have like 47 available...is it wise to not install certain things? id like to think i could use everything and have it all at my fingertips but obviously i wont...what will i probably not really need?

i do have an external drive but its almost filled....plus its just a lame tiny 5400rpm usb one which i would think isnt even close to ideal. i plan to buy a firewire one later when i can.....

supposing i get the firewire drive...and install the templates and extra content and what not on that like it suggests...will things not work right if i happen to not have my computer hooked up to the external drive? or will the extras just not be available but everything is still functional?

what if i just omit some of the templates and such for now...can i install them easily later without anything being messed up??? like just put the install disk in and have it install or will there need to be a fresh install or something of the studio?

also...i notice it says on the Color requirements that you need at least a 17" macbook pro or a mac pro...? does this mean if i intend to use color i will need to start saving for a mac pro or something?

The extras can be off-line when you're working, but you won't have access to templates, sound loops, documentation, etc. The installer insures that the code libraries, applications, and application support that is required to run is all installed on your boot drive.

You can leave a lot of stuff off and go back to install it later, if you change your mind. You probably won't need "color" for a long time.

it say color is like 120mb or soemthing so i dont see the point leaving it out...

im just going to install motion and sountrack pro without extras....then hopefully order a decent external drive and install it on that when i get it...shouldnt have any issues right? just pop the disk back in when i need to install the extras?

oh...and the programs can run without them, I've installed that way, but as your main editing machine, you may want them...so perhaps figure out what you can clean off your harddrive.

oh...and the programs can run without them, I've installed that way, but as your main editing machine, you may want them...so perhaps figure out what you can clean off your harddrive.

yeah well im basically stuck in a Avid editing class until the end of the semester and that takes up a lot of space with all the various crap it has planted all over my computer....every nook and cranny there is some random avid related folder that i have no idea what its for...so once i can uninstall that....things will be looking up....but ive been considering swapping up to a refurbished mac pro (more power...more expandable) or something maybe or getting a bigger system HD for this computer...

i mean even with Avid gone...i still had to uninstall almost all my Adobe CS3 progs and i dont have any media on my HD except a few gb of music and small amount of photos from my iphone in iphoto...so im kind of getting more and more to the point where like something has to be done...i dont really like the idea of having everything on an external drive...

Back