help needed choosing HD camcorder

I need (want) to purchase what I call a "burrito" camcorder -- one of the <$1000 consumer handheld camcorders, digital, true widescreen (~1900x1080). Could use some advice, suggestions.

Here is the situation: I already own a Canon XH-A1 for the majority of my shooting. But I have a couple of short films to produce this summer that will require having the camera over water, with me standing in the water-- so I do not care to do that with the expensive XHA1. I am thinking just get a burrito, and a $400 waterproof "ziplock bag" type casing for it. Plus I would then have a burrito for easy short filming while traveling light.

But should the burrito be the kind that shoots all onto flash memory, or to hard drive, or a combo, or tape?

It would be nice to keep the burrito under $1000 retail (hopefully $500-700 street) so it is affordable when factoring in the waterproof bag for it.

Of course this will introduce a whole new problem-- mixing footage from the burrito (~1900x1080) with that from the XHA1 (~1400x1080). Is that solvable, or will I have to just shoot the short with one or the other?

I don't think you'll notice the 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 difference when mixing footage, but differences in color balance, saturation, and sharpness may require some tweaking. Even shooting with nearly identical cameras, I find myself color correcting one cam to match the other. I do a lot of shooting from my kayak, and I've found that pure water shots (without lots of swamp grass, or foreground detail) do not suffer from sharpness variations like a shot of some dude at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. I think you just have to watch how you cut from one camera to the other. If one scene is shot entirely on one camera, and completely different scenes are shot on another camera, I don't think you'll have any trouble whatsoever. Generally, I'm shooting two angles of the same scene (like a wedding ceremony), and cutting between them. In that case, the footage has to match very well.

Doug

Back