Fake whiskey bottle ? (source?)

I need a fake whiskey bottle for a short film. Anybody know where I could get one? It does not need to be sugar glass, it is just that I do not want to get into trouble using a real bottle of whiskey and risk legal issues with the label on it (brand names, etc).

Or should I just design my own label to glue over the existing label, maybe that would be easiest? I just would think there would be a source of such things for filmmakers.

Are you wanting the flat, flask style or the big all day size?

For a flat bottle look for a bottle of real maple syrup, there's several small brands out there that use a flat sided bottle.

First one I can think of for a bottle that is "fifth" size would be one of those coffee flavors made by Torani, the wife has them all over the kitchen and they have that long neck look I would associate with a bottle of liquor. Most grocery stores have them.

Here's a shot of the Torani bottles, actually if it isn't going to be focused on, the label looks ok too!

torani.jpg

Then just bang out a generic looking label, although I wouldn't go so far as to put three X's on it! :lol:

Neil

Last edited:
The big bottle. Yeah I guess I will just buy a bottle, then somehow create a label to glue over the one on the bottle.

An excellent idea. It's done all the time. Here in Los Angeles there are prop houses
and print shops that specialize in just that. However, the "somehow" is so easy.
Buy a collection of commercial fonts and use Photoshop. Most people have great
color printers so the printing looks amazing.

I did that technique for a book cover for a prop using GIMP (gimp.org, a free alternative to Photoshop), took the image to OfficeMax and they did a laser color print that I then folded over a spare book, looked quite real. I will have to try something like that for the whiskey bottle. Or maybe I could just make sure the brand name is not visible in any of the shots, always shoot the label sideways?

An excellent idea. It's done all the time. Here in Los Angeles there are prop houses
and print shops that specialize in just that. However, the "somehow" is so easy.
Buy a collection of commercial fonts and use Photoshop. Most people have great
color printers so the printing looks amazing.

Soak the bottle in water for some hours, scrape off the label, buy some sticker stock (Avery makes some) and inkjet print on it.

I do it all the time, for props and other reasons.

Back