• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

there's always something....

Here's another irritating development.

While closing my color correction panel, I accidently closed both my canvas, toolbar and timeline. I went to 'window' and all three are ghosted so I can't click on them to bring them back up. I also went to the Apple/splat + 2, and Apple/splat +3. Nothing.

I don't know what else to try. How do I get my canvas, toolbar and timeline to show up again? All I need is to have to spend the afternoon trying to figure this out. I could be finishing up by late afternoon if I can just have my layout back.

...grrrr... by the way, I'm using Final Cut Pro....

-- spinner

Last edited:
Under the file menu, you should have a selection like "open recent". Pick the project you were working on but closed (if you close the window with the clips in it, you are closing the project and the rest of the windows will close as well) and it should all come back for you.

I went to 'file' and 'recent'. When I clicked on my project, nothing happened. So I decided to close the windows with the clips. As usual, it says the project has been modified and do I want to save.

I do want to save it, but not if it saves with this same layout that I am trying to get to open again...

EDIT: I closed the project and re-opened. My canvas is still gone and so is my timeline...

EDIT2: OKAY! I found it. What I did was look for the 'sequence' icon on the browser. Double click on it, everything came back up. I knew there was an easy way to do this....well, its easy when you know how...

Thanks, for your help knightly! ....back to work...

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Often, the solutions are unfindable unless you have been pointed toward the answer, or blindly stumble upon it :) There are no "dumb" computer users, just inexperienced ones.

....stumble sounds about right :lol:

The update is that I am done with the next doc. It is hitting about 20 minutes, give or take. This one took longer just because of the holidays and some footage I was not allowed to get, so I had to figure out how to fill a big hole. I expect to put it in the Screening Room this week. I think I have figured out how to handle the audio. Its kind of a quick and dirty way of doing it, but I think it is better than I have done previously.

Anyway, I am backing up my documents so that I have alittle room on my laptop to export, then I'll also be cutting it down to 10 minutes as well. I am trying to decide which to enter into a festival: the 10 minute version or the 20 minute version. I never seem to know if I should just enter the shorter version because it might have a better shot at being accepted or if I should hope it will still be considered at its 20 minute length. (I personally like the longer one :rolleyes: )

....decisions, decisions....

-- spinner :cool:

Back