Maya/Combustion or Lightwave, AE, VisionLab? Any other ideas

Narrowing down (or maybe not)

I am trying to figure out what modeler and compositor to get. I am an educator so I can get Maya example for $389 with combustion, lightwave for $184. AE I can get for $339 and FXhome's Visionlabstudio ($350) and wonder what's best. Nuke and Fusion are out of my budget. Any ideas with these choices or if can anyone suggest anything else? What you would get or what you think is better? I learn quick (most of the time--if I do it enough 8-)) and like a challenge.

I've got the canon xh a1 as well and plan to do some shorts and feature horror.

Thanks

Tony

www.tonyferguson.net

Blender 3D is good. Sometimes I think I took a step backwards into Lightwave3D, but I think that is mostly a function of the learning curve. My advice would be to stay where you are proficient unless it just won't do the job. Proficiency with the tool is most important.

what in particular do you want to be able to do?
Wideshot, I'm glad you asked that. I don't know if you were asking me (probably not), but I've been waiting for someone to ask, so here goes ...

I want to be able to take a front, side and back view photo of a complex object, stuff the pictures into my DVD drive, and have the 3D software create a perfect model, complete with textures. Oh, and I want my models to be smart. If I toss a model of a boat into a model of a body of water, I want the boat to know it's supposed to float, at the correct level and in the right orientation, and it should bounce on the waves, if I tell my body of water to have waves. All this should only require a few clicks from me.

Is that too much to ask?

Back