RCA recording

I'm making a commercial for Rockband for the Xbox 360. I was wondering if there's a low-cost (<$10, so I can't get a special PCI card for my computer to do that. Plus, my computer is no where near my TV.) option to record a video of gameplay from that. (Pointing the camera at the TV screen would be my backup.) I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC28, and I was thinking that I could hook the RCA cable on that and the RCA from the Xbox 360 to a RCA female-to-female connector, but I'm not sure the camera would be able to record incoming RCA signals. Any ideas?

Last edited:
you'll have to check the manuals for the handycam to see if it has a pass-through feature (i.link bridge or something like that - sony has to have its own names for everything that everyone else already does to make them seem like fresh ideas).

you'll have to check the manuals for the handycam to see if it has a pass-through feature (i.link bridge or something like that - sony has to have its own names for everything that everyone else already does to make them seem like fresh ideas).

Here's what I got from the manual:

Input Devices:
LANC Terminal: N/A
Analog Audio/Video Input(s): N/A
Analog Audio/Video Output(s): Yes (Multi
A/V)
Digital Audio/Video Input(s): Yes (via
i.LINK®) 1
Digital Audio/Video Output(s): Yes (via
i.LINK®) 1
USB Port(s): N/A
i.LINK®Interface: Yes
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s): N/A
Headphone Jack: N/A
Microphone Input: N/A
S-Video Input(s): N/A
S-Video Output(s): Yes (optional accessory)

Anything there I can use?

It appears the only input is through firewire. Anyway to get analog video to the digital firewire?

Here's what I got from the manual:

Input Devices:
LANC Terminal: N/A
Analog Audio/Video Input(s): N/A
Analog Audio/Video Output(s): Yes (Multi
A/V)
Digital Audio/Video Input(s): Yes (via
i.LINK®) 1
Digital Audio/Video Output(s): Yes (via
i.LINK®) 1
USB Port(s): N/A
i.LINK®Interface: Yes
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s): N/A
Headphone Jack: N/A
Microphone Input: N/A
S-Video Input(s): N/A
S-Video Output(s): Yes (optional accessory)

Anything there I can use?

It appears the only input is through firewire. Anyway to get analog video to the digital firewire?

The camera doesn't have any suitable inputs. Firewire is not just video, but A/V and control signals. You would need a device that can take the firewire input and then convert it back out to analog A/V. The XBox doesn't have a Firewire output.

Your best bet would be to pick up an analog capture card for your computer (e.g. an ATI Theater 550 or 650) and just run the game through the computer while capturing. But you won't find this for <$10 unless you can pick something up second-hand. You may be stuck with shooting the screen with what you have.

Back