• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this rain CGI or real rain or a combo?

See attached 5 second film clip from the movie "Mind Hunters" (Val Kilmer, Christian Slater, Patricia Velasquez). It is a clip where the team is in the rain. I am interested in opinions on whether the actors are actually in rain, or especially if the "rain" is in fact CG (computer generated) rain, or perhaps a combination. :huh: It almost looks as though there is just a sheet of rain in the foreground, but very little rain actually striking the actors. I am wondering if a similar look could be achieved on a budget film with CG rain, some light rain sprinkled on actors with simple cheap water hoses, and of course soak down the ground and actors beforehand.

Last edited:
OK sorry. :( I will have to redo it later using Sony Vegas. I had done a quick cut of that clip out of the movie using avidemux in linux; I will redo it later today and save as a Quicktime .mov or Windows .wmv file.

I don't know what codec you used to encode this clip, but all I can get is the audio.

Yeah just ignore it for now, I made the clip in linux where I can view it just fine, but I too am unable to view it in MS-Windows. I should have made sure I could do so in Windows before posting it, sorry for the inconvenience to you all. My bad!

Windows Media Player 11 couldn't find a suitable codec, either.

I was able to view it in ZoomPlayer so it might be an ffdshow thing.

My opinion is its real because you can see the drops coming off their hats and small splashes where it is hitting their clothing. And possibly a little extra thrown in from CGI, but mostly real. Large drops, slightly milky, sidelit. Most of it is shown in front of the action on a longer lens though to get the most effect.

Thank you for the feedback. I am hoping to find a way to do rain on the cheap, and I need more coverage than the $100 rain machine I have seen on youtube (garden hose wrapped in a coil pattern). I found some CG rain and snow to use in Blender,
http://www.centralsource.com/blender/liquid/
and once I teach myself Blender I am going to try compositing that rain into some footage to see how bad it looks. (On another note, I found some nice rigged Crow/Raven models on the web, hoping to learn to animate them for compositing with film footage)

I was able to view it in ZoomPlayer so it might be an ffdshow thing.
My opinion is its real because you can see the drops coming off their hats and small splashes where it is hitting their clothing. And possibly a little extra thrown in from CGI, but mostly real. Large drops, slightly milky, sidelit. Most of it is shown in front of the action on a longer lens though to get the most effect.

Back