How is this camera?

In that price range it's a good camera.. You should be happy with the image it produces.

I was very happy with my panasonic PV-GS200 until the firewire port went bad, it's image was very comparable to much higher cost cameras.

I have the PV-GS180 and it's just SWELL for internet quality vids... I've inter-splicitated footage from it in with DVX100 footage and people don't notice the difference. Perhaps because they are stupid... perhaps because the scenes I shot had better lighting than the DOP's... hmm... anyway,

This: http://revver.com/video/499968/

...was shot all on the PV-GS-180, which is the lower end model to that one you linked... maybe the 320 only has a bigger LCD screen or something... I dunno... point is, I like the model, and once you get used to it's quirks, it can pull of some SEXY moves. But remember- it's 1/6th inch chips, so yeah- it IS 3ccd, which makes it good for greenscreen, but it's only average in low-light and I wouldn't aim for full international theater distribution... but for web stuff, perfect. Couldn't get better for the price. Unless you're a professional thief.

EDIT: ONe difference I just noticed between the 180 and 320.... the 320 has no mic/headphone inputs according to the stats. Even though the on-board mic on the 180 is quite good, I'd want the option to plug in.... so that's something to look at...

I agree with what Spatula said about the external mic...

If you plan to do shorts or any kind of documentary or narrative film work (other than family videos where the audio might not matter much) you'll need a camera that has a mic input OR you'll need to record to an external audio recorder and sync it in post.

Back