Pricing for Canon XH A1

Hopefully no one thinks this isn't worthy of a thread.. but I am interested in getting into some aspects of film making and plan to buy a Canon XH A1. When I look at pricing there is a ridiculously wide range on this site:

http://www.pricingdepot.com/compare.asp?item=1191B001

From $600 and $850 to $3500.. The lower priced versions list as being new, but I'm not sure I trust what I am getting for such a low price. Is there some scam going on here, or should I trust these sites?

From $600 and $850 to $3500.. The lower priced versions list as being new, but I'm not sure I trust what I am getting for such a low price. Is there some scam going on here, or should I trust these sites?

Scam it is...many of the lower priced ones will be from "New York" and be from someone with a strong accent. They will take your order and then "advise" you to get the...extra battery as the one that comes with the camera only lasts 3 minutes with a full charge, or the cleaning kit since if a speck of dust gets on it, it will cease to function, etc. Those additions will bring the cost of the camera up to about the price everyone else is charging.

The one that I liked was "do you want to buy a battery?" "No thanks." "You should, it doesn't come with one." They stripped the package completely, and charged for everything, including the "carrying strap".

Oh yeah, my favorite of all times was when I said no to one of them, he did an impression of the soup nazi, "No camera for you!" When I called him a crook, he said that I had to apologize to him, or he would take my already provided credit card number and ruin my credit!

So, after all is said, be careful. You can find them cheap, but when you get the cheapest, you're usually only a few bucks lower than the rest. I think that there might be a small margin of profit in camera sales, but I don't know that for sure. I think that the most important thing is don't give up your money without some chance of retrieval. Never send cash or Western Union or money orders unless you're sure about the deal. I mean real sure!

Chris

Many to most are scams. I only buy from bhphotovideo.com or amazon.com Look at fine print on many of those too good to be true prices and you see in tiny print buried in the specs "lens not included". Or they refuse to sell you at the low price unless you buy a bunch of accessories and a super expensive inflated price extended warranty. B&H is legit, all photographers know they are honest.

Hopefully no one thinks this isn't worthy of a thread.. but I am interested in getting into some aspects of film making and plan to buy a Canon XH A1. When I look at pricing there is a ridiculously wide range on this site:

All of those too good to be true prices are scams-- they strip it bare, and/or take your order tvihen refuse to sell it at that price unless you buy their $1000 one year extended warranty plus a high priced cleaning kit and tripod, etc.

Buy from bhphotovideo.com they are 100% honest and if they say it is in stock they have it and sell it to you. B&H is the standard among photographers. Also amazon.com if from amazon but not from other resellers using amazon. If you are an educator/students you can get a discounted price through holcomb's. Save yourself headaches-- just buy from B&H. Those too good to be true prices are mirages. don't believe me? Go place an order on one of those, then report back here what happens. I will buy you a beer if I am wrong. But be prepared to perhaps cancel a credit card to get out of a deal with one of those sham operations.

Print out everything related to your order, do it all by email/online, not by voice, keep records. Except B&H as I said is honest and reliable.

What I find interesting is that some of the sheister sites, such as I suspect the one advertising the XHA1 for $999, hide at the end of pages of specs in small print "Lens not included". Well I asked Canon Tech Support last night about that related to another issue, and they confirmed what my friend said, that the XHA1 lens can NOT be removed, it is permanently attached to the camera. So I am not sure how such low price sites think they can sell the camera "Lens not included". Probably just their motus operandi or standing operating procedure when composing ads. But I have to say some of those other prices at $3xxx actually seem pretty realistic. Watch out though, some prices might be after the seller takes the rebate from Canon. Keep in mind those <$1000 prices are going to strip down the camera-- no battery, no charger, no manual, no box, no warranty, those sellers should be locked up and thrown on a rack.

Last edited:

I usually go with B&H or BestPriceAudioVideo out of Ohio. Both are reputable. I bought my xh a1 through BPAV

Tony

Back