Quick Quetion

Quick Question [about video equipment in my class]

in my video class, we have some thing we stick the mini dv into and we attach the firewire to it. and from final cut we can print videos to it and upload it. what is that device called?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I mean. Why would you buy an expensive deck, when a sub-$300 miniDV camera will pretty much do the same things. I guess time-code?
I assume you mean a time code display on the deck. Because you get timecode with a camera too. Though, with a deck you would likely have a little more control over the timecode (unless you used a higher end camera as a deck in which case the deck is probably more affordable anyway)

A lot of them are rack mountable though, so in some studio situations that's probably a lot more preferable to a camera just sitting around loose on the desk somewhere.

I'd like to get one simply because the only thing I have at the moment is my HV20, and I'd rather not wear out the heads and transport capturing, rewinding, and exporting tapes with it.. but for the time being it works. Ideally I'd like to find a unit that will take a mini dv tape, handles HDV and mini dv (since I'm shooting all in HDV now), and possibly also has a dvd-rw built in. Better yet an HD-DVD-RW, but that's just wishful thinking now..

Not that I really would need the extra dvd bit, as I do have an internal dvd-rw drive, but it would be nice to have all the video in/out contained in one unit. Maybe I should market something like that.. hmmmmm.... :D

The heads and transport on the deck will last alot longer too. You'll replace the $300 camera 5 or 6 times before having to give the deck an overhaul (we're talking 5-7 years with almost constant use, especially jumping around while previewing footage).

That said though.. the cost of hard drive storage is so low it's just as easy to dump a tape in, and leave it on the drive forever.. then seeking is almost instant, and no worry about wearing out the master tape. :D

Back