DVD burner - recommendations?

I'm looking for an external DVD burner, mac compatible, to burn copies of my film for self-distribution. There are a lot of options out there at a variety of price points. I'm not too worried about speed. Quality is, of course, very important. Should it include a lightscribe or some similar function? I won't use stick-on labels. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

My advice is to search Newegg.com. Luckily or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, Mac-compatible drives aren't as common so it narrows the search substantially.

Your Mac didn't come with a Superdrive?

Don't macs work with standard IDE drives these days? I'm pretty sure they do, so most of them should work, and any external usb or firewire drive should work.

i think if you're going to be selling copies of your film you should look into replication, or at least look into something like silk screening rather than labels or anything like lightscribe.

A lot of drives don't state that they are Mac-compatible even if they might be, but I've learned it's best not to assume they are. You could be right about the burners, Will, but in my experience it's best to make sure it says it explicitly in the system requirements or on the box.

Back