Cinema Products CP-16R

Just to help keep this section alive here are pictures of my recent acquisition. A Cinema Products model CP-16R camera with a 10mm to 150mm Angenieux zoom lens.

CP16R-1.jpg

CP16R-2.jpg

CP16R-3.jpg

Looking at that reminds me of my first Super 8mm camera that I bought some 20 years ago. I never ran film through it, but it was a good learning tool for understanding the light box and mechanisms for moving the film through it.

I got the CP-16R to shoot live action with sound. I also have a Bolex Rex with an animation motor to film stop motion animation. In this picture it's shown mounted on a Quickset Hercules gear head.

bolex-a3.jpg

Sorry-I forgot. If it is over $900, it would have to be converted to Super 16.
Thanks again,
Callum

The cost for converting one to Super 16 would run from $1,000 to $2,000. I know of two places that do them, Visual Products and Whitehouse. You might want to ask then if they know of any CP-16s for sale.

Wow, that CP-16 is the exact same camera and lens setup I used to shoot a feature back in '94. Those pics are trip down memory lane!

Damned thing was louder than hell. AD would encase me in sleeping bags, cinched together with spring clamps, with just the lens protruding. Even so, you could still hear it running in the background of some interior shots.

BTW, the camera's owners also live in Texas -- wouldn't it be a scream if it was the same camera?

Last edited:
Wow, that CP-16 is the exact same camera and lens setup I used to shoot a feature back in '94. Those pics are trip down memory lane!

Damned thing was louder than hell. AD would encase me in sleeping bags, cinched together with spring clamps, with just the lens protruding. Even so, you could still hear it running in the background of some interior shots.

BTW, the camera's owners also live in Texas -- wouldn't it be a scream if it was the same camera?

No, it's not the same camera. I got mine from an owner in Virginia. And this one is super quiet. It had been serviced before I got it. In fact when I ran it with test film in my living room I had to open the camera door to make sure it was running. I do want to see about having this one converted to Super 16 along with one of my Bolexes so it can be a MOS backup camera.

In a few days I'm also expecting a 16mm Mitchell to be delivered.

Very cool. It's a great little workhorse camera. In hindsight, I wish I'd had mine converted for Super, but in '94 widescreen wasn't the selling point that it is now.

HD Video is all the rage now and what with broadcast television converting to HD next year there will be a demand for more Super 16 productions. The Bolex I want converted is my Rex5 setup for animation.

HD Video is all the rage now and what with broadcast television converting to HD next year there will be a demand for more Super 16 productions. The Bolex I want converted is my Rex5 setup for animation.

Actually, it's not all HD, just digital. They are dropping all analog broadcasting. They'll still broadcast standard definition content.

There may be some holdouts, though, like independent broadcasters (e.g. religious).

Last edited:
Won't they be broadcasting in a widescreen format? I already get that with my Dish Network.

Not everything, no. The majority of television sets out there are not widescreen yet. I still have a standard definition TV in the bedroom (even though I have two HD sets in the living and family rooms). The government cannot mandate that everyone go out and buy a new TV set, just that they'll need a converter box, and they'll offer coupons to help with the costs of the converters. Radio Shack already has them.

Fox news in our area is not yet in HD, but the other news channels are. For CBS, NBC, Fox, etc., there is an equivelent standard definition channel.

EDIT: Here are all of the formats available over ATSC (DTV):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards

Last edited:
Not everything, no. The majority of television sets out there are not widescreen yet. I still have a standard definition TV in the bedroom (even though I have two HD sets in the living and family rooms). The government cannot mandate that everyone go out and buy a new TV set, just that they'll need a converter box, and they'll offer coupons to help with the costs of the converters. Radio Shack already has them.

Fox news in our area is not yet in HD, but the other news channels are. For CBS, NBC, Fox, etc., there is an equivelent standard definition channel.

EDIT: Here are all of the formats available over ATSC (DTV):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards

I do know that ABC13 in Houston broadcasts in widescreen. They have for the past year.

I do know that ABC13 in Houston broadcasts in widescreen. They have for the past year.

Channel 13 NTSC is still standard def. Channel 313 is HD (Comcast). All NTSC is switching to ATSC, which still includes 4:3 aspect, interlaced content in the specification. :yes:

Yes, there is another ATSC broadcast channel already that is HD, but they still broadcast SD over NTSC, and as of February next year, that SD channel will switch to ATSC (digital) signalling, but it will remain standard definition. They will still maintain two seperate channels, one for SD and one for HD.

EDIT: Actually, they could theoretically use a single channel (KTRK digital is channel 32). It would just display any HD content in 4:3 letterbox on a SD set.

Last edited:
Channel 13 NTSC is still standard def. Channel 313 is HD (Comcast). All NTSC is switching to ATSC, which still includes 4:3 aspect, interlaced content in the specification. :yes:

That's what I get on my Dish Network, Channel 13 in HD. Funny thing is when I have the same channel on my satellite and on my regular set in another room there is a delay from one set to the other. The satellite signal is almost half a minute behind.

That's what I get on my Dish Network, Channel 13 in HD. Funny thing is when I have the same channel on my satellite and on my regular set in another room there is a delay from one set to the other. The satellite signal is almost half a minute behind.

But Dish is all digital anyway, so it doesn't count. That's why it's delayed. It's the same with cable, watching 13 in the bedroom versus 313 in the living room with Comcast. The HD channel is behind. It creates a cool echo effect.

This whole transition thing is for folks who are still using rabbit ears or on-roof antennas. It doesn't apply to us. All my sets have cable boxes, so this transition won't affect me. You can still use an on-roof antenna after the transition, but you'll need a converter box to receive and interpret the digital broadcast. It's still over the air.

wow

a cp 16, i shot on one of those a few years ago, pretty sweet, i think they used to use them for extreme journalism,
tuff and pretty quiet to arnt they? i think i did roll half a can through it though because i didnt understand the on and off button on both sides. dangerous. good camera. how much did you pay for it?

Back