Train a Cat to Walk Backwards?

The Velvet Mariachi is working on a short film where a key story element turns on a shot of a cat walking backwards. Short of filming said cat walking forward and then playing that sequence in reverse, how else might The Velvet Mariachi accomplish this little bit of film magic?

The Velvet Mariachi assumes most of you have some experience with this (the old cat-walking-backwards canard is rather played out obviously).

Your help is much appreciated. Que viva el gato malodoroso!

Paging Rob, paging the Loud Orange Cat...

You'll probably have to reverse the footage, if you're looking for a casual walk-up... but you can try scaring it backwards by approaching it with an open blanket (preferably of bright color) and banging a pot and pan together. To prevent it from turning around, you'll have to be near a wall on the side, so it backs up against the wall. Again, it's hard to do, because cats are the most difficult actors to direct, so you'd probably have to reverse the footage.

Conversely, you could visit the Pet Morgue and make a marionette.

;0

Cats Love Spatulas

Spatula,

You continue to honor The Velvet Mariachi with your helpful advice. A dead cat marionette might actually work (and would explain some other dangling plot points in the third act) but The Velvet Mariachi will try some of your suggestions first and see how it goes.

Besides, he saw that Stephen King movie and The Velvet Mariachi doesn't want to end up like Gage.

Yes, Spatula. I'll answer.

Velvet, I've done this. Training a cat to walk backwards is quite simple.

First, give me your Visa card number. Okay, you got me, I'm kidding.

First, find a treat that the feline likes. It must be small but something said cat will beg for.

Second, hold said treat over feline's head by an inch or two. You want him to look up at it but don't want him to get it. Tease him/her a bit.

Third, slowly move it backwards from the cat's POV.

Keep doing this until the furball 'learns' to walk backwards. Usually, this is accomplished in about 10 to 15 minutes of trying. That was my experience, anyway.

Then, if you're lucky, you can teach it to talk like Brando. First, fill its jowels with cotton and.. Oh hold on, phone is ringing... It's PETA. They want me to stop talking. Who's outside my door with a gun?

Gotta g##%#@*$& [NO CARRIER]

Loud Velvet Mariachi

Loud Orange Cat,

You do honor to your feline friends, this is wonderful advice and The Velvet Mariachi appreciates it very mucho. Gracias, gatito lindo!

I think i would film the cat walking towards me, then while editing just reverse the footage.

To encourage the cat to walk towards me i would maybe offer a saucer of milk or cat food, etc.

Back