Producing a film fest

I'm doing some research on producing film festivals. Can anyone recommend reliable, good resources, books, or individuals who might be willing to share info? Thanks.

Hi!

There are some local film festivals you might look up for info:

Hell's Half Mile in Bay City

Riverside Film Festival in Saginaw (going on this weekend)

East Lansing Film Festival in East Lansing at MSU

Flint Film Festival in Flint

Ann Arbor Film Festival in Ann Arbor

I have found that if you just ask, many people are willing to part with some wisdom...

-- spinner :cool:

Thanks! And FYI, if you're interested, there's a dynamic group of folks that are working hard to put together the first Detroit-Windsor International Film Festival for June 08. Join the team at dwiff.org. Lots of interesting folks involved. Join up! We'd love to have you! :yes:

Man I have always wanted to do this but I know a few people who have and lets just say they had issues... lack of people, lack of good films!

But if you can do... we need more quality Indie fests! Good luck to ya!

Thanks for the good wishes. We've got a U.S. Senator (John Kelly, D-Mich), leading the call, very dynamic and well-connected in Detroit and Windsor. Big, big plans and ambitious ideas. I just helped write the pitch book and he'll be approaching major corporations for sponsorship. The core team seems dedicated and on-the-ball. So, keep us on your rador to submit. They want to use WOAB, but I hear it's a heck of a lot of work to set up and manage (?). I did a bit of searching for books and web info, looking for resources on producing a film festival, but really found nothing of much use. If anyone out there wants to write a book, it's a nitch that's not covered, though the market for such a book is limited, admittedly. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want a copy of "Film Festivals for Dummies" :lol:

There is no such book because running a film festival is totally custom for each and every situation.

I run into people all the time who say, "oh yeah, I want to have a film festival.", and I have a tough time looking them in the face because I was just up for 18 hours working on schedule integration into our website or reconfiguring our ad to meet the ad specs of every publication which has different ad specs than every other publication, or watching 5 entries of films, some of which are just plain painful.

If you are prepared to tackle such a venture, I'd say go for it, you only need about 20k to put on a decent international film festival.

Last edited:
How long does it take to plan a typical festival? My company is considering sponsoring a local festival, and we're even tempted to organize one in the future. I'm going to check out some of the recommendations above, but glad to know there are experienced organizers here to get some advice.

How long does it take to plan a typical festival? My company is considering sponsoring a local festival, and we're even tempted to organize one in the future. I'm going to check out some of the recommendations above, but glad to know there are experienced organizers here to get some advice.

Jnbammer...it's not an easy process, but depending on the staff, your timeline is adjusted. There already is a DC festival, but I have to admit that I'm not sure how good it is, as I've neither submitted nor gone to it.:blush:

If you do go forward with it, I might have some time now to help.

Chris

And again it depends on how many people are involved and can share responsibilities. It sounds like you're a business person, a film festival is a 6-10 month a year or more business that has many facets, and it only gets more complicated as it comes down to the festival. Sales, Marketing, Printing, Graphics, Websites, Filmmaker Support/Liaisons, VIP Support/Liaisons, Box Office, Merchandising, Special Events, Photography/Videography, Judging, Selection, Awarding, Technicians, Volunteers, Venues, Equipment, etc. are all positions and responsibilities that have to be handled. I would be available for consulting if your non-profit wanted some hands-on advice.

Back