Good newbie stuff /cam shoppi'n ect.

Im back already.Im really hard up to try the wedding and event videography so have to upgrade from a $500.00 Panasonic (now worth $200.00 I suppose) to a 3CCD.Something reasonably decent.Problem is I hear about low light LUX ratings and Ive also heard or read that its not the only low light consideration with a camera and thier is more to it than just the LUX.I think it was a Cannon XL model that was supposed to be the king of low light?Other problem is I can afford $800.00-$1000,00 tops and I know thats a long cry from the super model Cannons ect.But has anyone found a reasonably good cam thats decent in low light for a grand or less?Course I need the mic and headphone inputs.Ive been looking and it doesnt look like the budget stacks up to the task.Any sugjestions?Thanks Indies! ,PS Im gonna get one of those cool rear window car adds with the website just like a real video guy wowzee,BANG

balanced microphone inputs! (XLR rather than a phono jack). Canon XL + MA100 or Beachtek adapter will give good balanced audio input.

Low light, I'm not a big fan of judging a camera by its low light capabilities. One of the things you may want to do is go to some representative locations you may be shooting in and see how well your $500 camera does with no extra light to give you an idea of how important low lux capability is to you. I have a canon and it performs well in low light situations, but I always try to avoid them. Doing event and wedding vids, you may not be able to control the lighting at all, but usually weddings aren't too dark as the wife generally wants to be able to show off her gown to the audience who needs to be able to see. I've shot several weddings all in diffferent churches and have never encountered one too dark for any of the cameras I've used. I'd consider color reproduction more important than the low light.

Ah Ha

Thanks guys,Now I want to ask you the low down on HD. Is it important? Should I bother? Also that banna boat camera online store is usually the lowest price but I get scared of that. Any one bought from them before? Also Im assuming I should stay away from Used cameras? And whats with these incredibly low priced "pro" high resolution cams in those ebay stores with brand names Ive never even heard of - bad news? When I get real big Im gonna get a monopod. PS -Ive been watching the doc channel on satelite then I gave a look on the doc Im working on and it just REEKS of cheap ass video camera so I guess thats enough reason alone to upgrade.

too good to be true is just that.

As far as HD goes, what's your target display? Web only...SD should be fine. HD will get you more to work with up front, but you'll be downrezing it when you output. TV, same thing for right now...Film out?...HD isn't quite enough, but it's better than SD. I'm sticking with SD until A) I get the money to go HD B) HD becomes a more viable release platform.

You were definitely right

Did a customer review search and holy cow its all a scam. Partularly banana boat cams.I havent looked into the company yet but I read a quick review about Beach Cam.They are a real Co. based on what Ive read but we'll see.If thats the case they have some nice prices.Any one a panasonic fan? I was checking out the Panasonic AG-DVC7 DV Camcorder . They'l think Im a real pro with that fancy monkey on my shoulder! Then the first few calls ask me "Why do you want to do our video for free?" I reply "You seem like nice people" Any one down on Panasonic? thanks , Fred

Ahhhhhh sonnyboo

Thanks Peter,I will have to find out the one I was reading about. Hats off to you sir! Ive been digging into you lately and your work is fantastic. Im pretty amazed how you and many others still make time to help beginners like myself. I learned quite a few things from the "Horrors of War" editing tutorials also. Thanks for putting that stuff out there! Ive also brought in music from Sonnyboo.com for my first doc I filmed in the Middle East. Thanks again to everyone! Fred

we may have a winner

Any objection to this cam? Panasonic AG-DVC20 Low light goodies,3ccd,looks bad ass pro, what else could I want? Basicly Im looking for wedding function short or long term (if I can stand it or if Im any good at it) and try some shorts here and there in the future. Other wise Ill just go back to filming squirells.It looks like Im not in the price range for anything with XLR inputs from what I can tell. One more question ,with a cam.Should I always go with DV tapes?Or is there any reason I should stay away from DVD or hard disk? Thanks guys,Fred

Back