Gear

I've been making short documentaries and news stories and running all over war zones for the US Army for the last 3 years (I'm in Baghdad now) and I am finally going to be making my first short film (I'll start shooting in Japan next summer). What I am presenting here is a list of equipment I have. Being that the Army has supplied me with equipment in the past (PD170's, AVID machines, etc) , and they really weren't geared that much toward filmmaking; I'd like to get everyone's advice as to what else I might need. Like I said, I've done short subjects, TV news broadcasts, commercials, green screens, etc. Just never made a film film.

Video
JVC HD110U
FiresStore DR-HD100-80

Audio
Tascam HD-P2
MKH-416

I'll be renting the light kit and a wide angle and super telephoto lens for the DH110U.

What am I missing? Any thoughts?

Charlie

Welcome to the boards and thank you for your service!

I'm not sure you really need those two lenses. I own that same camera and the stock Fujinon lens is fine for almost every application.

A good tri-pod is essential as is a simple boom pole for the mic. A small grip kit with c-stands, flags and scrims will help you control the lights you rent. Here's a list of my minimum set up. You don't really need all of these items to make a movie - it's just a suggestion.

6 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap
color gels
2 bounce boards
gaffers tape
camera tape
a bunch of C-47’s - also called “bullets” or wood cloths pins
a coffee maker
a slate with marker
c-stands (at least 6)
flags (assorted sizes - at least 8)
scrims (at least 6)
silks (at least 2)
cookies (at least 1)
sandbags (one for every light/c-stand and then 6 more)

'sup, hapychkn!
smiley_patriot.gif

I've done short subjects, TV news broadcasts, commercials, green screens, etc.

You have anything online? I'll watch anything. :blush:

Scott Spears has a handy page on his website that has videos & articles on basic equipment that you might want to acquire, and why.

a coffee maker

Most important part of any operation. :coffee:

Welcome to IndieTalk! :bag:

Back