Camera Choices

I am farely new to filmmaking, I have done alot of event recording but not filmmaking. I have been using the Panasonic GS400 and they are great, but I want to get into a camera that is a little bit more than just 3 CCD. I have a budget of about 1500. 00 and I am looking at buying a camera from ebay possibly a Cannon GL2 or Cannon XL1. I need help on deciding on a good camera for my budget. I am looking at doing DV Shorts and possibly entering into a film festival in the near future.

I always look for 1/3" or larger CCDs. You want a decent manual focusing option (focusing ring), you will need attachments for external microphones, and full manual control of exposure, whitebalance, etc. Of course 24p is the prefered "film" shooting mode, but for $1500, you won't have many 24p options.

I don't know what you're going to find on E-bay. I hope you find a good deal with the features you need. On the other hand, don't forget that the camera is only part of the equation. You'll need other equipment, and nothing makes up for knowledge, and experience. Talent can be good too, but I've managed to get along without that.

As long as the camera and lens check out, the XL1 is a great camera. The color saturation is really excellent. I think I prefer the look of the Canon XL1 to the Pansonic DVX-100 for most types of shooting. That said, beware of all sorts of problems that can be hard to spot. Any camcorder can have serious issues, if it's been abused, but the interchangable lens feature brings in some new, potential issues.

I decided to go ahead and break open my piggy bank and get the Cannon XL2. I was told that this is the camera for the job, so I hope it work out for me being that it's rather expensive.

Given the new, HDV cameras available, if you're not going to change lenses on the XL2, I'd give some very deep thought to your choice, before purchasing a brand new XL2, or any other miniDV SD camera. The HDV cams will generally shoot in SD, but also have a range of other/better options.

The XL2 is a very capable camera. If it's "the camera for the job", you can always rent one for "the job" and save your money to buy a camera for "the next job".

Personally, I believe that HDV cameras within a year's time will be so commonplace that we'll see fairly decent cameras available for around for an average of $500 to $700.

I'd like to see P2 3CCD cameras around $3000 within a year or two. I think it will happen.

One thing is for sure; the resale value on standard def miniDV camcorders is plummeting, as the new technology improves and becomes more affordable. I might buy a used DV camera, at the right price, but I would not pay full price for a camera that is essentially obsolete.

I'm not that educated on HD camera's I am currently using Final Cut Express HD, will be moving to Final Cut Pro in about a week or so. My question now is if I buy an HD cam will I have to upgrade any changes to my editing equipment to use it. HD is very new right now and not too many people own HD TV's or DVD players. I really don't know what I'm trying to ask but I quess in a nut shell If I capture in HD will I still be able to editing in a format that is suitable for FCP?

Those questions are pretty easy to answer. Yes, Yes, Yes. ;)

Seriously, the HDV cameras will shoot in standard dev DV, if you prefer to shoot standard def. You can also shoot high definition and let the camera downconvert to standard def, but you've still got a high def source. Finally, you can edit HDV with your system, although it may tax your processor/hard drive, if you've got an older system.

Another nice option you get with the Panasonic HVX-200 is DV50, which is standard def DV with twice the color resolution. That's "broadcast" quality, which really is much better than standard DV.

If you're going to spend $4000 or more, I'd strongly recommend that you explore your options carefully. It would be nice, if the camera you buy gives you at least 3 years of service before you're forced to upgrade.

Repeating what I said earlier, though, the XL2 is a great camera. You could do worse, but I don't think I'd buy one today, unless I got a good deal on a used one.

I currenting editing on a Mac Mini and so far it's been pretty reliable. I was checking the price on the Panasonic HVX-200 and you right it is rather expensive. I have been reading so many reviews about DV vs HD I think that if I get a camera that has both capabilities than I can 't go wrong. What would be the next camera you recommend that's maybe in the range of 3000.00 my wife has put me on a spending limit. I'm sure you married guys know all about that.

The Sony HRV-A1U
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...423&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The Sony HDR-FX7
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...129&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Or (at the top of your price range) the Sony HDR-FX1
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...515&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I've seen some video shot with a Sony (one of the low end models) HDV camcorder, and I was really impressed. I have not worked with them, and the 3 models listed above all have slightly different features. If it were me, I think I'd go with the first one that is $2100 after rebate. It is a single CMOS sensor, but I see big things coming in the next few years, so I'd get a decent quality HDV camcorder to hold me over for 2-3 years and plan on buying something with 100% solid state or hard drive storage after that.

Ask around about the Sony Cams ... there are a lot of people using them, and you may get some insights. You've definitely got 3 great choices, all under $3000.

Did that include a lens? The XL-2, with a lens, should be well over $3K.

Also, as we discussed, the standard definition DV is on it's way out. The XL-2 has been around for a few years. It is a solid camera, but it offers some pretty old technology. The best way for you to decide, would be to compare the video from the $3K Sony HDV and the $3K Canon XL-2 and see for yourself. I agree, you should get the most for your money, which is why, if I were buying 3 year-old technology, I'd look for a deal on a used camera.

Back