• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color Correction Example

I got a phone call from a friend of mine this morning asking for my help with a gift he was working on for his wife's birthday.

He and his step son had a photo shoot, with wigs, etc to achieve a '70s cop show kind of a look, and he wanted me to do a little color correction and background replacement to complete the look.

It turned out pretty nicely, so I thought I would share, as I know people like to see color correction examples and such.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Aside from the background replacement, which in itself went a long way to helping sell the "portrait taken in the '70s look", and a little work to color match the fake moustache with the wig, the primary adjustment was mixing a mostly transparent black and white copy of the image over itself, with the color curves adjusted to make it lower contrast, with slightly crushed blacks. Then a second layer was added atop these to cast a slight greenish/brown tint over the entire image.

We were both quite happy with the results, feeling like we were looking at an original circa 1972 portrait print. :D

Comments welcome and appreciated.

It looks like a husband and a wife with a hairy chest. Other than that... lol... nice job.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm actually a little surprised to have not heard anything from oakstreet yet. Being our resident photography expert I'd have thought he would have been one of the first to sound off on this.. Guess he must be busy. :)

Guess he must be busy.
Extremely busy. I thought I'd have some time next week, because I've been working 12 hours days for the past 10 days or so, but then I got offered a video job that I just couldn't turn down, but they want 1000 manufactured DVDs in hand on March 1. Since it takes 2 weeks for replication, I need to plan, script, shoot, edit, and master the DVD in the next two weeks, and still keep up with my other projects.

Yesterday I was dragging out all of my lights, umbrellas, scrims, etc. and making sure that everything was there and working as expected. This morning I slept in.

Regarding that "expert" thing ... I've never thought of myself as an expert on anything, because the more I learn about something, the more I realize I don't know. It seems like I keep getting dumber, instead of smarter. Does anyone else experience this?

BTW: I think you did a very nice job. I'm sure I couldn't have done any better.

Back