If you had the budget for it...

...what would you shoot on?

Assuming you have a script , talent & crew. Rationale?

Leaving the question at that.

I love the freedom of Video...I wouldn't mind stepping up to HD (or RED...although HD res would be fine on that). I've shot precisely 2.5 minutes of actual film (S8 B/W Kodak Tri-ex reversal)...it cost me $25 and still hasn't been processed or telecine'd.

For stock cost alone, I could've shot 5 hours of video...and S8 image quality doesn't generally impress me...Too grainy. Although, if someone could show me an example of non-grainy S8 footage, I may change my tune, but at that cost, it'd have to look like LOTR footage.

Depends on what I was shooting and the look I was going for. Music video - Super 8 and Super 16. Feature with lots of handheld or low budget look - Super 16. Feature - 35mm. Documentary - Super 16 or video.

I'd kill to shoot a national geographic style feature on 35mm film. If cost were not an issue, I'd love to have the lattitude of film; specifically for outdoor shooting. My 2nd choice would be really high quality HD camera; iMax style.

Iand S8 image quality doesn't generally impress me...Too grainy. Although, if someone could show me an example of non-grainy S8 footage, I may change my tune, but at that cost, it'd have to look like LOTR footage.

We just shot a few segments on Super-8, using the Vision2 500T. I'll be shooting a bit more, before having it all developed & 'cined, but I'm also curious to see how it turns out.

I'll send you a link when it's done.

Just re-read the question...I'm going to expand on my statement a little...I also don't like the workflow of film, Can't do extended takes cause you'll run out of film in the middle of it...I suppose if you were to stagger 2 cameras runtimes, you could get overlapped footage of the takes, but I think that would be too cumbersome to manage as well.

I like the artistic freedom video gives you when working with actors. You can tweak performances right now and just have them redo it without having to go through all the cumbersome cutting and actioning and what not. By the time you go through the litany of starting to film again, the actors can lose their momentum and start to fall back on what they've been doing. If you don't cut, you will run out of film faster and the stress is higher budget wise for the actor to get a nice relaxed atmosphere where an actor can really feel comfortable to explore their part.

Film is dead, long live the new film...I'd still like to move to a format that will transfer nicely to film print (red) and give me real control over DoF (red)...so I guess my answer is still red...but the reasons have been expounded upon.

I'd capture sunbeams in a magical bag and sprinkle them over the actors as they read off the script. Then I'd get some lowly, crap-ass PA's too scoop up all the dust and edit it somehow into a sustainable 2 hour movie.

So I guess my format would be "Magic Sunbeams".

Back