Editing on a Mac Mini

I love Final Cut and am getting to the point where I need to get a secondary computer. I'm thinking seriously about moving into the Mac so I can now do Final Cut at home. At work we have a G4 Mac that is loaded so Final Cut works great with that system. I don't want to sink $3,000 into a top-of-the-line Mac so I was thinking the Mac Mini would be a good compromise.

Does anyone have any experience using Final Cut on a maxed out mac Mini? How does it hold up?

I've been talking with Apple about editing boxes.

The Mac Mini has a 4200RPM notebook hard drive in them (for space constraints) and honestly isn't built for editing. You could probably get away with some SD editing on it. This is why I'm going to buy the Macbook Pro 17in with the 7200RPM drive. Now that's an editing machine that can handle HD.

The trouble with a Mac Mini is the lack of a dedicated video card. Applications like Motion and 3D apps are dependant on the GPU (graphics processor) and OpenGL. I just installed a Mac Mini for a business client. It performs well, and it's a very neat package. For business applications, internet access, etc. I'd highly recommend one. For heavy graphics ... probably not.

Back