• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Fast & Slow Cutting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUwSOwXmK4

This is a demo for a series of educational, filmmaking videos I'm working on. Shot in HDV with the JVC HD-110. I have not finished the sound mix or even final voice over recording. This is for demonstrative purposes really.

Any thoughts?

Scott Spears and I are talking about combining our considerable resources on these types of videos and possibly making a DVD.

- Peter John Ross
www.sonnyboo.com

Last edited:
The examples make your point well, but there are other elements that have been added in the fast-moving car chase (including sound effects, motion blur, faster action) that might detract from your specific point. I agree with the premise completely, but the difference between your first street shot and the highly produced clip is multifaceted. Also, if you want to save some time, I think the static street scene could be a little bit shorter, and still make the point.

Overall, I think the concept and the delivery were both great. If I were buying the DVD, I'd like to see clips like this that showed the goal, in addition to some how-to clips that showed how to get some of the more interesting shots/angles, considerations for organizing and annotating shots, editing tips, etc.

I hope this comment doesn't seem critical. I really think your clip demonstrates excellent production values.

p.s. I was just looking at the JVC-HD110 a couple of days ago. That's a very tempting camera. Also, the Creative Cow interviewed a guy who had used the JVC-HD100 shooting elephants in Africa and he said the camera was very rugged. It's always nice to know your camera will stand up to some abuse, without having to find out for yourself ... the hard way.

This one is great. I love the scene with the proposal. Way to be, Boo. I'd buy the DVD. Especially if it includes a can of Boo soda pop.

Oakers makes good points.

Bear in mind the target is High Schools and Colleges with introduction to filmmaking courses. That's who the potential buyers of these videos are to be. We have a distributor in Canada who approached me about the ones I did for HORRORS OF WAR, but the rights for those for distribution become convoluted, so I'm making a few on my own to see if this will bring in the $$$ for producing a full series.

Yes, the difference between the 2 street shots are multiacted, and filmmakers with a modicum of experience will be able to notate that the clip did more than just using additional shots - but this was demonstrative to make the point for people with little to no experience. Additional videos on things like sound mix, music, etc. and how they can all be used to make a more effective movie will be forthcoming.

Back