Proper referencing of song lyrics?

Hi Filmy!

I have a question regarding the appropriate way to note a song in a script. I have used *INSERT* to intoduce a song into my script, but how would I reference a particular line of said song to coincide with a very specific action in the same piece? Thank you, sir!

Hey Bird

I know you've asked Filmy, but mind if I leap in on this one?

Generally if the script is going to be sold as a spec it's better to avoid referencing the song at all, if you can avoid it.

The main reason for avoiding specific songs is unless you know for sure the songs is going to be available to use in the final soundtrack, you're putting the producer out on a limb.

As someone who was once quoted a price of $250,000 to use a song for three weeks only, restricted to the UK only, I'm always wary of any projects that won't work without a specific piece of music.

It's best to hang onto any music ideas you have until after the script is optioned and they're moving towards a shooting script -- at which point the producer or director is bound to ask if you had any specific ideas about music.

Hope this helps.

Of course I don't mind! I welcome, and greatly value, your opinion, Clive....as I do Filmy's.

Thank you for the advice, makes superior sense. The script I'm asking for is probably something I will end up making myself, so spec script form isn't required. The point you illustrate about cost for acquiring these rights DOES blow my mind. I guess I can count out using Kate Bush's catalog. DAMN...DAMNITY....DAMN, DAMN.

Tanky much, Clive!

Hi Filmy!

I have a question regarding the appropriate way to note a song in a script. I have used *INSERT* to intoduce a song into my script, but how would I reference a particular line of said song to coincide with a very specific action in the same piece? Thank you, sir!

But if you're gonna do it... LOL.

All you really have to do is mention it in your action sentence... Like this:

As Jack runs up the hill, he sings a verse from
Bungle In The Jungle by Jethro Tull.

It's also acceptable to CAPITALIZE or ITALICIZE the name of the song as well. Whatever suits your style.

Hope that helps.

filmy

Thank you for the advice, makes superior sense. The script I'm asking for is probably something I will end up making myself, so spec script form isn't required. The point you illustrate about cost for acquiring these rights DOES blow my mind. I guess I can count out using Kate Bush's catalog. DAMN...DAMNITY....DAMN, DAMN.

If it's for your own movie, the only thing I'll add is it is always worth writing a letter to the publishing company trying to get permission -- a lot of companies can be very generous to indie film makers.

You might get permission for free ussage for festivals, with a fair deal on worldwide in perpetuity, if you get distribution.

Hope it works out for you -- and by the way, Kate Bush is one of my favorite singers, always has been. So, good choice Birdy!

All you really have to do is mention it in your action sentence... Like this:

As Jack runs up the hill, he sings a verse from
Bungle In The Jungle by Jethro Tull.

Thanks Filmy....but, how did you know I had a tights-wearing, flaming redhead protagonist who just happens to have a flute solo during an obstacle sequence?

clive said:
If it's for your own movie, the only thing I'll add is it is always worth writing a letter to the publishing company trying to get permission -- a lot of companies can be very generous to indie film makers.

You might get permission for free ussage for festivals, with a fair deal on worldwide in perpetuity, if you get distribution.

Hope it works out for you -- and by the way, Kate Bush is one of my favorite singers, always has been. So, good choice Birdy!

Excellent information, Clive. :) I will try to contact her publishing company. My fav, too. I swear I visualized the whole script while listening to her....

Back