How to Stedily film Fast Moving Jets

Anyone have any good pointers on filming Air Force Jets where it will be nice and steady? I had some practice last weekend w/ the Airshow and even w/ a tripod it weeble woobled a bit and danced aroudn the screen. And yes I am using a HD camera so that is why I put it here LOL

film it slightly wide to give room around the edges, then stabilize in post. Shake is really good at this, not sure what PC options are out there...final cut has a plug in built in, and it does a fair job of it...doesn't handle severe shaking well though.

Your first mistake is trying to video Air Force jets. Everyone knows Navy jets/pilots are better.

Are you talking about the movement and I can only liken it to those camera shots of the golf ball as it flies to the green during TV golf coverage. The ball waggles around the frame, is that what you're talking about?

I don't think you can fix it unless you have some kind of computer/motion tracking software/hardware thing. There is something about the human brain and the way it references with your eyes. If you sit in a completely dark room then have someone turn on a pin-sized spot light on the wall. The spot will dance. Not because the light is being moved but because your body does and your brain has no 'frame of reference'. I was told this by a camera guy at a Senior PGA event. Nice guy, bad breath, close talker.

Back