questions about exporting from final cut

I'm in the post production phase of a feature that I have been working on. I've hired a sound editor to work on the sound, but need to send her the audio tracks. I am using final cut and am looking to export the audio tracks so that they remain as individual tracks. Basically, how do I export a sequence so that it can be worked on by an outside editing agent? All input will be much appreciated.

I don't believe there is any way to export an audio track with more than a stereo pair from FCP; at least not in a single export. You can, however, turn your audio tracks on and off selectively and export all tracks to separate files, either as mono tracks (1 at a time), or stereo tracks (in pairs). The safest, most portable format that is lossless is AIFF. Simply use Export with Quicktime conversion and select AIFF as the output format. Pick 48kHz, 16bit stereo and export one pair of tracks at a time.

You can reassemble the tracks in a Quicktime file (the MOV format supports as many audio tracks as you want), but a professional audio service should have no problem with multiple AIFF files, as long as they all synced to the same start and duration, which they will be, if you export them all from the same sequence.

You may want to visit Apple's FCP discussion group for more ideas.

Hi...I think oakstreet was dead on with the aiff delivery format......I'd drop the sound editor a quick line and see what format she needs it delivered in just to be sure. Ran into this a few times myself being aiff files sent in stereo interleaved, but needing split stereo and vice versa for different projects.
Good luck!

One more thing... as a tech, who is more often on the receiving end of a batch of media files, try to use a descriptive, concise, and ordered naming convention. The files should sort neatly and the names should indicate how the files are assembled.

e.g.
MyProjectName_Seq01_Track01-02.aiff
MyProjectName_Seq01_Track03-04.aiff
MyProjectName_Seq02_Track01-02.aiff

If you name the files well, it will be clear to any decent tech how it all goes together. By prepending your project name, the tech will have an easier time finding your files amonst the other 9 million files he/she is working with.

Also, as an FYI - I'd put in a countdown leader and the "2-Pop" at the beginning so that when they deliver back to you, the synch will be perfect. Audio doesn't always work with SMPTE (29.97 frames per second) time code, so just to be sure that what they are giving you goes EXACTLY where it's supposed to - include the countdown leader at the beginning of the clips, including the 2-Pop sound on every single track.

This is an industry standard way to make sure it all works perfectly.

Back