ITOOFC 5 is here!

What genre of script do you want to work with?

• Comedy/Black Comedy

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Drama

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dramedy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Action

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Horror/Slasher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Science Fiction

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Detective/Mystery

• Western/Period

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
ITOOFC 5 is coming! We need suggestions. If you are unfamiliar with ITOOFC please see #4's threads.

ITOOFC 4
ITOOFC 4 Results

Starting date and rules TBD, how do you guys want to do this?

There will be prizes!

Jungle Software
www.junglesoftware.com
Makers of Gorilla
Film Production Software for the Independent Filmmaker

Final Draft Screenwriting Software

More will be added.

Hmm... it would be very interesting to see the same script. It would have to be a well-planned story, so that everyone can participate. Well-written too, so people will participate ;)

Too bad I'm in pre-prod for a first big project, or I'd join. How about we make the contest for 30 minute dramas about America falling to a war? I'm just speaking off the top of my head here.

If it is all based on the same script, then the script should be carefully written to keep everything simple -- so as not to put a heavy financial or shot-location burden on participants.

Why not have a script contest for writers, or a collaborative approved contest, and then follow up with the video one?

If it is all based on the same script, then the script should be carefully written to keep everything simple -- so as not to put a heavy financial or shot-location burden on participants.

One way around that is to maybe provide 10 or 20 required pieces of dialogue? And then each participant can write any movie/genre around those 10 or 20 pieces of dialogue that they'd like.

The phrase "Would you like to learn to fly? Would you like to see me try?"* can either be from a warm family film where grandpa Ed teaches his grandson how to man a single jet airplane... or can be the words a coked-out rock musician screams as he contemplates jumping from his 30th-floor hotel room balcany.

*if you get that reference you are my new best friend.

Last edited:
I'm all for the idea of a single theme - but using one screenplay just isn't that appealing. For me, putting my best effort into an original script is much more engaging than someone else's.

I remember editing down to 5 minutes on the last round - that was difficult. A range (5 to 10) would make it a little easier with the last minute continuity decisions.

In any case, I'm looking forward to Round 5!

My gut reaction is to go with a theme and let people write.

The only interesting varaition would be to have the writing done on a secret santa basis -- so every contest writes a 5-10 minute script -- but that script is then "fixed/adapted" and filmed by another entrant.

So, Spatula writes a script -- but I end up making it and SP ends up making mine -- etc.

I know it's too mad to word -- and the best thing would be to keep it simple -- but it was one of those ideas that just tickled me.

I mean would we all try and write rotten scripts, just to stick to one another -- or would we set up things impossible to shoot on under $40K.

Oh, the merry Chirstmas japes we could have with that scenario.

The only thing I think that we should do, is make it about Santa -- I just watched Bad Santa again and you can;t have too many Santa films.

I'm more for different interpretations of the same script or even just a scene. I might even be able to participate this time around...if not, I'll judge again.

FOA, if anyone doesn't know that reference...they weren't paying attention during the handing out of the "You must watch this film" portion of the orientation for life on this planet :) This time around, we should put Geldof in white robes and have him carry a staff up a mountain ;)

On the concept of using the same script, I hate the idea for several reasons:

1) I'm too busy making my own films to spend a week or two on someone else's brainchild for a contest.
2) Anyone who has enough time on their hands to spend on someone else's script (or on competitions like " 21 days" etc.) should be making their own film, not doing contests.
3) The script has the potential to be crummy. Eye of the Beholder thing.
4) At least 50% of a good film is in the script. As an indie filmmaker, I'd rather be judged on the totality of my talent.
5) For the same reason that those "21 day" and "1 day" contests are a waste of time, everyone doing the same script is a waste of time. I don't care how long someone took to make something. I just care if it was good or not. Why? Because no one in the "Industry" cares how much money, time, or sweat you put into something. No one in the civilian, non-filmmaking world cares either..!

It ends up being insider navel gazing.

All in all, that kind of stuff is nifty collaborationist collectivistism (not to sound too harsh), but if I were in charge, I'd just make it a straight out competition with a couple of categories like "Best Short", "Best Trailer", "Best Animation", that kind of thing. I think we're all here to get noticed and get our films made, not win competitions that are geared towards something OTHER than making the best film possible, whatever its script or form.

The same script/scene idea is what they did for project greenlight.. there was always VASTLY different interpretations of those, and it's interesting to watch.

I honestly think that would be the most fun, and worthwhile edition of this competition to date.

Project Greenlight's award was to be able to make a feature film and to be on a reality show. It makes it worth the time to do it. Is Indie Talk going to offer that? If not, I think it ought to be a showcase of the work that people are doing already.

Collaborate with someone who writes well.

Lookit, you've got all these people on this site who've already got films made and haven't been accepted in festivals - I've been reading Alphie's posts, for instance. String of bad luck, the fates, headaches, whatever, may be responsible. Having a competition that allows you to submit pretty much anything like a tradtional film competition is, to my mind, far more helpful to the users of the site than something in which only a couple of people (who have copious amounts of time) can afford to do. I can't afford to piddle away time doing a competition on something that isn't going to get me much. I daresay not too many other people can either, not if their talents are in demand elsewhere.

Ladd, if you are not interested, fine, but it's kind of pointless to post you are not interested when this thread is for ideas. The benefits haven't even been decided yet. I will work on getting good exposure. Example: The winning film could stream on the homepage for two weeks. I am going to come up with some more ideas. That's what this thread is for. :)

There will be prizes!

One sponsor:

Jungle Software
www.junglesoftware.com
Makers of Gorilla
Film Production Software for the Independent Filmmaker

More sponsors to be added, details soon.

This time it's going to be well organized, and will occur annually or semi-annually, with prizes, sponsors, and exposure. What we need is your help, we want to give you what you want!

Freakin' awesome idea. Okay, I had to throw that in but I take no responsibility for it though. :lol:

Two things:

1. I would love nothing more to participate, but my chemotherapy keeps me too weak. Hell, I haven't finished my current project for three months now because of it and BC5 is only supposed to have a runtime of around four minutes or so... :grumpy: I'm still working on it, I swear!
  2. Can anyone submit a script (Including myself who many not be able to participate)? I think I have a perfect little script I would like to see made.

I personally like the idea of everyone shooting the same script. Would love to see that evolution and how every element is interpreted.

Having said that...

If you go that route, I think the filmmakers should be able to, at the very least, create their own title for the film along with some kind of an agreement that says each filmmaker has the right to submit it to festivals, online, etc.

The screenwriter(s) could still get the credit but this way, the film(s) have a little more longevity for the filmmakers...

Just thinking out loud.

filmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back