missing file formats - stupid macs

My friend from Portland shot an interview for me (I'm in Chicago) for a documentary I'm working on. He uploaded the file to my server, but there's no file extension. I tried adding various file extensions to see if Vegas could open it (.mp4, .mpg, .mpeg, .mov, .avi, .qt) but none of them worked.

I've written him again to ask which file format he uses, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have a mac that would be willing to download the 1 gig interview video file and tell me which format it's in? Because of bandwidth, I'll supply the link in a PM if anyone would be kind enough to take a few minutes to help me out.

In addition, any other file format suggestions would be great too. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

Open it with quicktime and export to a different format.

It's probably in a format not natively supported by vegas (or premiere) as it originated on a mac. If you can't open it with quicktime, you likely wouldn't be able to open it at all. But you could also try virtualdub, and try to convert the format with it too.. I'd guess you'll have the best luck with Quicktime however. If you don't have the pro version, buy it. it's only $30.

I get an "Error -2048: the file is not a movie file" message when trying to open it with Quicktime. I'll just wait for his reply, thank you though Will. Perhaps he Stuffed It before sending it. I don't know if Winzip will open Stuff It packages, let me go google the file extension...

Back