Old Tape Recordings SFX

Does anyone know how to make an audio file sound like an old tape recording? With that scratchy, warbling effect that happens to old magnetic tapes?

The movie Session 9 used it to great, creepy effect (when the guy is listening to the old recorded sessions of a mental patient). I am trying to figure out a way to do the same thing.

I am working in Premiere Pro and I have been playing around with the standard audio effects controls, but nothing seems to sound like it.

Any suggestions?

record it to tape, take the tape and crumple it up, then put it back on the spools...;) I'm sure there's a way to make it happen, but I'm not sure what it is digitally, there's probably a plugin somewhere.

Will, if you could, that would be awesome. I tried looking on the net for a plugin, but didn't have much success.

record it to tape, take the tape and crumple it up, then put it back on the spools...;)

That's actually a good idea. I never even thought of actually doing it for real. Of course, i want to be able to control when and how much distortion occurs, which isn't a possibility this way. :no:

when is as easy with an open head reel to reel deck as it is for splicing audio or film...just play til the point you want it to warble and crumple there. start the crumple small and work up til you're happy.

Yeah, i agree it is a doable thing... but I am not 100% sure where and how much i want. I want to be able to play around and experiemnt, and change things back again if need be. If i cannot find any way else to do it, I will try it out the old school way. :cool:

I would make a WAV of the scratchy/noise sound and run that under the audio track and then make a WAV of the crumple and drop it in where you want it. You could probably fake most of this with an open microphone and static from a TV. The editing software we use would allow for great flexibility in creating this effect.

Good luck!

Back