Auditions.

Last week i auditioned for a feature film which all went perfectly well and the director never had to direct me very much, unlike everyone else. But yesterday i recieved an email telling me i was not short listed for second audition without any reasons given. I know rejection is a frequent part of an actors life however would you consider auditions essential for the success of a movie? When i write/direct a film i simply cast actors whose work i know and never have any need for an audition.

I hate auditions anyway as i know some actors will be rejected and i know what thats like, completely soul destroying! Its even worse when you have to travel a long distance at short notice on your own expense, for a job which the probability of work is very unlikely.

So i came up with an idea. If auditions are considered imperative for the success of a movie, is it possible to audition actors directly via the internet? I imagine this would be so much more cost effective for everyone involved, and not so much leg work.

Last edited:
An interesting concept, but one of the things that I would think a director would look for in a live audition is interacting with the potential actor to find out if they're (1) Good (2) Personable (3) Works well with others (4) etc...

It would certainly be nice to some to remove all the human interaction, but finding that right person means shaking their hand, dosen't it?

When I do auditions, one of the things that I use to filter is promptness. By expecting people to show up on time for auditions, I can determine a little about a potential employee's attention to being prompt. It's unfortunate that people have to travel for an audition. I do everything I can to filter out people who are unqualified, unmotivated, or don't have the right look, BEFORE I ask them to do an audition. Your chances of getting the job if you audition for me, and you show up on time, are pretty good; unless you lied in the screening part of the process.

Hey, bad luck Eddie. Hope your next audition is a winner. But yeah, I think auditions can help you avoid making big mistakes in the end. I suffer the same problem as you- always turning to friends for parts. When we did Macbeth 3000, people just wouldn't show up on certain days for bad reasons- but hey, they were our friends, so they thought we would understand. And we did. 3 years later the movie is JUST coming out on DVD because everyone just kept putting things off. For the next film we're doing, to save costs, economize, and involve everyone, I cast the magic stick once again to the core unit (the reliable people). I still have a couple major roles and a few bit parts available though- so we're definitely going to have auditions.
It's important to bring in people outside your friends though- "outsiders" will help reserve (hopefully) a few people from goofing off, because they know that people that aren't biased are putting in time and effort to work on the project. The best crew should always have a "new guy" or two so there's a fresh perspective. And you HAVE to meet these people, because it's not JUST a question of acting ability, or skills... it's how they are going to influence the people around them. If a person brings a destructive personality to the set, it could get ugly. I was doing a one-day-gig as a PA for free, and had been informed I was going into a train about to wreck. When I got to set, I was promoted to 3rd AD after a brief stint in the art department. I was told to follow the cinematographer wherever he went and report on walkie when he was ready. The writer/director/actor/star had to get a fake tattoo done for a WIDESHOT where he was wearing a SHIRT (!) and things got delayed. This pisses off the ADs and I get YELLED at because I wasn't in the same room as the DoP, even though he was standing by the door (apparantly I had to be close enough to touch him). I had to leave early because of a dinner (keep in mind, I'm doing this for free because I was told they NEEDED help, and I knew the prod. manager) and I tell the 2nd AD. He says "Fuck. Why didn't you tell me this before?" and I'm like "I told your production manager and I told you earlier" and he totally storms off. Yeah, uh, nice to work with you too. I'll just go pick up my- oh wait, I'm not getting a paycheck!?!

So that's an example of a director/writer/actor/star with MONEY who hires (and pays some) crew to shoot a movie he cast all his friends in. The script was in Korean. No one understood what was going on. Obviously, the semi-professional crew worked well together, but the all-friend-all-star cast was what blew things up. So you have to see what people are like BEFORE you shoot. Therefore, you have to "befriend" these people that are on your cast/crew, and introduce them to the other members. I guess you could do that during read-through rehearsals though. The point is that auditions are a healthy process of weening in new friends. So the point is, we should all be friends. On Myspace.
Or not.

I'm going to stop typing now.

some actors will be rejected and i know what thats like, completely soul destroying!
I don't think you've got the right mind set then.

is it possible to audition actors directly via the Internet?
I like the idea but so much goes into an audition and shaking hands with the actor is a big part of it for me. Having the actor audition over the Internet would be a good weeding out process but I wouldn't want to pick a winner that way. Narrow down the list of possibles maybe.

I'll tell you Eddie, I have agonized about how to let down an actor. You mention no reason was given for your rejection. I wonder if a reason would make the rejection easier to take. Sometimes I really have no reason other than I liked the other person better. And then there is the time to consider. When I see 40 actors for a role that means I would have to come up with 39 reasons. Five roles to cast, that could mean 195 e-mails or phone calls with reasons for the rejection.

I, too, try to cast actors I know. It isn't always possible. Sometimes they aren't available during the shoot dates, sometimes they have a job that is paying more, sometimes they just don't like the role I'm offering them. Then I have to audition.

I'm sure auditioning actors via the internet is possible. It's not something I would do. There are just too many variables - promptness (as oakstreet mentioned), personality, how they work with others.

One little trick I use, and has worked out very well, is I have an assistant in the waiting room. This person is usually a good friend, someone I trust. How an actor treats the "help", the lowly assistant is very often an indication as to how they will treat the crew on set. I have several times not hired the best person for the role because of their attitude.

I have several times not hired the best person because I just really clicked with the actor in person. I once completely rewrote a part to better fit an actor who I really liked as a person even though she didn't fit the role as written. I'm not sure most of the things important to me at an audition could be done via the internet.

==================================================================================================
If in Hollywood come see "dark crimes" at the Chinese Theater on October 7.
http://www.magicalfilmfest.com/
See the TRAILER

Ok you all seem in favour of the traditional audition and i agree the personal touch of meeting an actor in person, shaking their hand, etc is something you don't get on the internet. Auditions provide the opportunity to meet new people and see their level of ability, however what they are like to work with in the long term is something you find out.

I always feel more at ease with actors i already know and that encourages me to give them the first priority as opposed to someone new. Which is probably why i get rejected at so many past auditions, because the director has never met me before and probably thinks i will not be reliable. Its a cynical attitude to have, but a film production is a question of risk and that level risk must be minimised as much as possible.

Anyway according to my diaries i have only been cast once from an audition, and that was for a stage play were the director knew more about me than his own hand! And as the show progressed i remember i was eventually given three different parts on stage because other people kept dropping out the production. I always try to make things easy for the director as i know what its like to be in his or her shoes...

I always feel more at ease with actors i already know and that encourages me to give them the first priority as opposed to someone new. Which is probably why i get rejected at so many past auditions, because the director has never met me before and probably thinks i will not be reliable. Its a cynical attitude to have, but a film production is a question of risk and that level risk must be minimised as much as possible.
There are too many factors in casting to narrow it down to the director thinking you aren't reliable. I'm sure every director here can give you 60 different stories and reasons why they cast who they cast. But bottom line, I can only cast one person. It must be hard not to take it personally. But not getting cast rarely personal.

I blame me more than I blame the actors. I get a picture in my head of the character - a good, reliable, personable actor can audition and do a great job. But then two hours later the person I pictured in my head walks in the room and is good, reliable and personable.

It must be tough to be an actor. I have a lot of respect for what you do and what you go through.

Back