Audio Issues With My New Rig

Greetings,

I am new to both the forum and to film making. I am having some serious audio issues with my rig. It's a new rig and I can't get the audio working properly.

Here's the deal. I am shooting with this camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...527&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I will be interviewing people using the built-in shotgun mic as well as an external lavalier/wireless mic. I can hear both the shotgun mic and the wireless in the headphone monitors during my tests, but during playback the wireless mic didn't record at all. It's strange that it can be heard during recording in the monitor but not during playback, don't you think?

The specific wireless mic I am using is the audio-technica 88 Pro w/T.

For settings, in my test environment Frequency A has less feedback than frequency B.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. What is the best way to troubleshoot this and get it working?

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Just to make sure it isn't something simple...

Look at your audio module. Above where it says "INPUT1"

REC CH SELECT - the switch farthest left should be set to CH1 not CH1&CH2
INPUT LEVEL - middle switch should be set to MIC

Above where it says INPUT2

INPUT LEVEL should be set to MIC

Use the +48V if you need to. As long as both mics have power, this should record through both mics on seperate audio channels.

You're not using the shotgun mic that came with it are you? You'll get much better audio (IMHO) if you use a nice hypercardioid instead.

Last edited:
I got it sorted!! I am so happy about this!

I called the Sony tech support people and they were actually very nice and helpful. It was the channels. For this particular camera if you are using both audio inputs the channel setting needs to be set at 1 and not 1+2, which is the previous setting.

Whew. I'm relieved and can finally start shooting. Woo hoo!

=)

I got it sorted!! I am so happy about this!

I called the Sony tech support people and they were actually very nice and helpful. It was the channels. For this particular camera if you are using both audio inputs the channel setting needs to be set at 1 and not 1+2, which is the previous setting.

Isn't tech support a lovely thing?

Who were you calling for apple TS? I've been a mac user for almost 20 years and have never had a bad call...I would think the law of averages would have caught me by now.

hi knightly,

when i had apple care on the machine that just died, i called their 800 number and the people were jaded and not helpful.

but....i'm still love apple products and am in the process of researching>purchasing a new machine which will have final cut pro and other film editing capabilities, so i'll give them another shot ;)

what kindof apple set-up do you use for film editing? (including software if you dont mind me asking)

~

I've got Final Cut on a 2 x 1.42 Ghz "Windtunnel" G4 - 2Gb RAM - 4 x 120 Gb Drives. One drive is for my System and apps, one for my CD collection and games, one for projects and footage, one for renderfiles and overflow. I have a 20" apple lcd display, a shuttle pro input device which, truth be told, I don't use all that often and a Tascam US-428 usb control surface/audio and midi interface.

I now do all my own apple support as I'm a licensed apple technician. Can't do applecare TS yet though.

as to the hard drive, it was whatever I could get my hands on for cheap.

the 2 x is a dual CPU system ... 2 - 1.42 Ghz chips in the system.

The windtunnel is a verysion of the cas that has 4 air holes on the front of the case and the original power supplies they shipped with had a tendancy to ramp up the fans (loudly) which turned them into wind tunnels :) I have a replacement power supply in mine...it was a warranty repair deal.

Back