Interesting new book on directing

I just picked up a copy of 'I'll Be In My Trailer. The Creative Wars Between Directors & Actors' by John Badham and Craig Modderno. (2006. Michael Wise Productions)

What do you do when actors won't do what yout ell them to? Remembering his own awkwardness and terror as a beginning direcgtor working with actors who always had their own ideas, director John Badham (Saturday Night Fever, WarGames, Takeout, The Sheild) has a bookload of knowledge to pass along in this inspired and insighful must-read for film fans as well as actors and directors as all levels of their craft...

What I really like are the comments he's collected from other directors and actors who talk about directing and share their own experiences. I haven't finished the book yet - but here's a tip I just read that I think is pretty smart: Badham suggests offering direction in the form of a question, as in" What would happen if you walked into the room and did....?" Rather than ordering the actor to do something , this allows the actor to become part of the development process. Anyway, this book is very entertaining and educational. Recommended... so far so good.

Back